Odour from downstairs neighbour through wodden floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope anyone can help as the guys from B &Q couldn't.......

recently bought a tenement flat and have now discovered that I can "share" my downstairs neighbour's every meal as the kitchen odours come through the floor into the second bedroom (Oust sprays, candles and co are not cutting it against that greasy smell by the way- tried that as the cheapest option). Now this flat is over 100 years old and has wooden flooring (in not so great condition) which will be part of the problem. I've never looked under a wooden floor (or any for that matter) and have the following questions:

1) the floorboard are currently covered with semi decent carpet- would a really thick one solve the problem (I suspect not though)

2) any chance of solving the problem by lifting the boards, putting in some sort of insulation (??? which one) and putting the boards back on? Is insulation an option? I suspect there will be pipes/ wires under the boards....

3) would putting down an new expensive wooden floor (without gaps)solve the problem?

I'd be grateful for any hints to get rid os that smell!

Sponsored Links
have you spoken to your Neighbours!!!

much easier to seal up the odd gap in the ceiling to remove the damp/smell problem its causing

untill you know for sure don't assume its your Neighbours immediatly below

maybe they have an extractor that is badly connected/leaking so vents in the roof void rather than outside!!!!

if it's 100 years old there are gong to be cracks and gaps in their ceiling

especially round the light fittings

so if you want to take up some floorboards, start there. you can patch cracked ceilings with plaster from above. over light fitings, don't bury them direct in insulation as they get hot, but if you place a terracotta flower pot over it (yes really!) it gives a space and you can insulate round that.

If you are taking the whole floor up, maybe some building paper to seal it, then fibreglass bats which will also reduce sound transmission.

Plywood makes a good and economical new floor. don't use chipboard :mad:

if you find gaps round the edges of the room, or around joists, vacuum them clean and spray with water, and you can use a fire-resistant expanding foam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back