off licences

Sponsored Links
the term "off-license" is now incorrect. No such place anymore. Licensing act 2003 did away with "on-license" and "off-license".

Now you just have a "premises license" in which one sets out the intentions of the premises, for example "a public house selling alcoholic refreshments for consumption on or off the premises and playing pre-recorded music in the background, opening at **** and closing at ****"

A premises need a license for licensable activities, such as selling alcohol (in any way, shape or form), provision of regulated entertainment (betting), and late night refreshment.

If selling alcohol, a designated premises supervisor must be appointed, who is a personal license holder.

We used to hang round outside the off licence waiting for a grown up that was prepared to buy us a bottle of merrydown for 12/6p it went down well but was a bugger coming up :LOL: not that I condone such behaviour.

Sponsored Links
Richardp said:
We used to hang round outside the off licence waiting for a grown up that was prepared to buy us a bottle of merrydown for 12/6p it went down well but was a b*****r coming up :LOL: not that I condone such behaviour.
and condone it you should not . . . and i continue . . . it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to purchase, or ATTEMPT to purchase alcohol. It is also illegal for any adult to buy alcohol with the sole intention of selling it onto a minor. ;)

I thought there was still a distinction between a licence to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises, and consumption off them?

Here's an interesting poser for you, based on a real incident I witnessed recently in an offie near me.

Bunch of chavs had been refused service because they were under age.

Chav bangs a tenner on the counter and runs off with the beer. (Leaving a tip of 1p in the process).

You are Mr Shopkeeper.

Do you:

a) Phone the police, report a theft, lose the beer and probably the tenner as evidence and risk future trouble from the chavs?

b) Put the tenner in the till and therefore sell the beer to someone under-age?

ban-all-sheds said:
I thought there was still a distinction between a licence to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises, and consumption off them?

Here's an interesting poser for you, based on a real incident I witnessed recently in an offie near me.

Bunch of chavs had been refused service because they were under age.

Chav bangs a tenner on the counter and runs off with the beer. (Leaving a tip of 1p in the process).

You are Mr Shopkeeper.

Do you:

a) Phone the police, report a theft, lose the beer and probably the tenner as evidence and risk future trouble from the chavs?

b) Put the tenner in the till and therefore sell the beer to someone under-age?

If he'd been refused, how could he run off with the beer :D .

Seriously tho, I'm wondering if the police would be interested in pursuing. Without a suspect, how can you prove his age either way, so at that time, technically, no crime has been committed as the landlord has the cash.

crafty1289 said:
and condone it you should not . . . and i continue . . . it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to purchase, or ATTEMPT to purchase alcohol. It is also illegal for any adult to buy alcohol with the sole intention of selling it onto a minor. ;)
And at what age did you start drinking? ;)

. . . . .
divider2a.GIF

Igorian said:
He walked into the shop, went to the shelf/cabinet where the beer was, picked up a slab, went to the counter and offered payment. He clearly looked about 14, and the shopkeeper refused. He plonked down the tenner and ran out still holding the slab of beer.

Seriously tho, I'm wondering if the police would be interested in pursuing. Without a suspect, how can you prove his age either way, so at that time, technically, no crime has been committed as the landlord has the cash.
He'd just refused to serve him knowing or believing him to be under 18....

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:

. . . . .
divider2a.GIF

Igorian said:
He walked into the shop, went to the shelf/cabinet where the beer was, picked up a slab, went to the counter and offered payment. He clearly looked about 14, and the shopkeeper refused. He plonked down the tenner and ran out still holding the slab of beer.

Bin on the JD again, could have swore u said in a pub,hic.. :D

Still applies tho. Would the Police be interested? I doubt it.

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:

. . . . .
divider2a.GIF

Igorian said:

right, if this happened in my store, i'd report it as a theft. The purchase was not authorised by the staff therefore nobody could be prosecuted for selling to underage. Wait for police, tenner in hand. Show them CCTV, wait for their advice on what to do with money.

I never attempted to purchase alcohol under-age, i never would have been served anyway, didn't look old enough.

And the police ought to be interested: they do enough bloody test purchasing ffs.

yes, it is specified in the premises license what circumstances they can sell alcohol - for consumption on or off the premises or both. Premises license looks the same either way, the "small-print" now details its specifics, rather than it being called an "off" or "on" license. A premises license is also required for late night refreshment places (kebab / pizza places open after 11pm) even though they dont sell alcohol.

Sponsored Links
Back