OFTEC/Oil qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thinking about sitting these but not much oil in my area mainly farms etc, is it worth it and how much does it cost roughly ;)

and is it hard?

Sponsored Links
just done mine the other month not that hard really but look at all the costs, because if you haven't got the kit already plus registering as business also requires you to register as a technician, just way up the pros and cons. down here theres loads of oil systems so my boss can get his money back good job hes paid for it!.

If you're just servicing, do you really need anything? You're not necessarily better if you have them, it's just a social crutch.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
If you're just servicing, do you really need anything? You're not necessarily better if you have them, it's just a social crutch.

Although I am happy to repair oil boilers, I have to explain that I am not OFTEC registered and that sometimes means that I cannot do the repair because its for an insurer etc.

Tony

Tony for a clever guy maybe you should think before you type, you always state people having gas should use a corgi guy and not the un- registered or the lads that work for a firm during the day. So for a guy with no oil qualifications or registration your happy to fix oil boilers Robbing guys who spend money on getting qualiifed and registered.

Hypocrit?

Why hypocrite? Gas work has legally enforceable restrictions about who can do what work if they are earning a living by doing it. Oil has no such restrictions, except being registered if you are doing installations and self-certifying.

From a legal point of view he's not "robbing" anybody.

Perhaps you should think before you type.

yes; all very nice; but what happens when you need certificates for the HIP
Dont see why theres a difference why u corgi lads can do gas when us Oftec lads have to do and pay for the registration.... :confused:

I dont do gas caus im not Corgi registered....why should YOU be able to install oil appilances then :mad: and not comply with the regs!!

i'm well aware that corgi registration is legal for work on gas and at present Oftec registration is an aid to self certify but i'm getting a bit frustrted in people spouting that plumbers should be a member of the IPHE and if your not registered with blah get someone that is, and then people saying, well actually i do this.

It wasnt meant as a dig against Tony, the guys very clever. Could have been anybody.Bad day :oops:

moliver34 said:
I dont do gas caus im not Corgi registered....why should YOU be able to install oil appilances then :mad: and not comply with the regs!!

You are making an unwarranted assumption. Registration does not mean the work WILL comply. You should know better than this (in fact you do) to wit, a large registered outfit in Crawley, and particularly registered tank installers who do NOT comply.

I would bet that though not registered, Agiles's work generally complies.

Its OK, I am not taking this personally.

As stated, its not necessary to be OFTEC to repair oil boilers and so if requested then I will go and repair them. I have no problem repairing them. I always explain that whilst I can repair them I am not OFTEC registered. Most people just want someone who can fix them.

However, I dont instal oil boilers as some aspects of the installation ideally require OFTEC. Anyway no one has ever asked me to!

In London there are not that many oil boilers and the cost and time involved in OFTEC would not be justified.

For about 10 years I looked after two Potty 220,000 Dips on oil until I replaced them with gas boilers. They were directly heating the water in a launderette.

Tony

Agile said:
They were directly heating the water in a launderette.

Tony

:eek: :eek: You mean the flame was pointing downward into a tank of water??!!?? :eek: :eek:

No, but the mains supplied water was directly heated up in the boiler though. Originally via an ion exchange softener but later via magnetic treatment and siliphos.

Thats via a type AA air gap and a weir formed by raising the 1.5" float valve above the holding cistern.

The water was then presurised to about 1.5 Bar by a 1 HP pump.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back