Oh dear only when caught out.

Sponsored Links
And arguably the start of funny money economics. The Fed slashed interest rates

1714165777741.png

And arguably the start of funny money economics. The Fed slashed interest rates

View attachment 341337

That's interesting. I've been aware for some time that house prices began their crazy ascent around 2002 in this country. I wasn't aware at the scale of rate cuts going on, which makes perfect sense.

It is difficult to overstate just how pernicious easy-credit monetary policies are. It goes beyond the affects on asset prices and has far reaching effects, including socially.

Perhaps a lot of the ills we are now facing can be attributed to what has effectively been 20 odd years of money printing. And progressively more extreme. From the early 2000s Greenspan bubble, the response to the GFC which went on for far too long, and then the covid response which took it all to a whole new level.

The inflationary effects (not necessarily captured in the official stats) are a disease of money, and it seems to spread disease through the civilization, with effects on its structures and norms. Unfortunately, the fix at this point is going to be so unpalatable that each and every government will try to carry on and keep kicking the can down the road...

Think I might buy some gold sovereigns to keep in the house.

Sponsored Links
Yep...

Free movement in Europe and a return to free trade leading to lower prices and a return to sanity...

I think we'd have been better off never joining in the first place. It was the wrong answer to our problems in the 1970s and once we got back on our feet, it was undermining what had been achieved. Plus the fact they very badly ripped us off. We were the highest contributor to the budget for years until eventually falling to second place behind Germany and they basically raped our fishing grounds, which were the richest in the world at the time we joined. And all that after throwing away an empire and bankrupting ourselves to save them in two world wars. It was the sort of very unfriendly deal that leaves a bad taste, to say the least.

Btw, unless you're planning to learn another language you can forget finding work in the EU. It was this country providing the jobs to Europeans. If it's just for holidays, the five mins it takes to fill out an online form is surely better than a £90Bn annual trade deficit and a £12Bn annual fee?

I think we must get used to doing our own thing and being confident about it. Trade and friendship, fine, micromanaging federalism and political projects - no thanks. And rip off deals are for mugs.

is surely better than a £90Bn annual trade deficit and a £12Bn annual fee?
Lol.
Brexit costs the UK about (net) £100 BILLION per year boyo. Better my arse.

Another interesting snippet, back in 2019...
The “economic cost” of Brexit, £130 billion, now exceeds what we’ve paid in to the EU over 47 years. Better my arse.

While he has made some terrible leadership and policy decisions, pretty much completely failed to do his job and suffers hugely from small man syndrome. His "is it because I am a muslim?", mantra bothers me most.

I'd rather Dianne abbot was PM, than live in a country where religion started to define policy.

Lol.
Brexit costs the UK about (net) £100 BILLION per year boyo. Better my arse.

That is a made up figure and impossible to prove. You cannot know how things would look if we had remained in the EU because it isn't what has happened, and I cannot see how you isolate something economically disastrous like the covid response and other goings on in the world, which have occurred since we left.

The figures I provided are factual. You haven't even realised that the annual costs I referred to are greater than what you have suggested anyway.

How much did it cost you?

I travel in the EU 2-3 times a month, I reckon net net, I'm probably 1 hour down total standing in passport queues. I get the most grilling in Sweden, they have certainly changed their politics in recent years and are now very anti-immigration.

From a business point of view - Brexit meant I had to pull some jobs back to the UK and with digital nomad visas you can still have UK employees living in the EU for up to 2 years.

How much did it cost you?
Not sure what brexit costs the average UK family. Why? Is that important when discussing stuff that does much harm to the UK economy? I'm sure I won't notice the effects of Mone's £60 million quid either.

I've noticed passport control abroad can be a drag. There is definitely a disdain for Brits abroad in Europe at the moment. Why the UK is being singled out? I don't know.

Brexit - utter pile of shít.

The average Briton was nearly £2,000 worse off in 2023, while the average Londoner was nearly £3,400 worse off last year as a result of Brexit, the City Hall website said, citing the study.

Read more

You are embarrassing yourself.

Sponsored Links
Back