OH GOD SOMEONE HELP ME LOW HOT WATER PRESSURE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Have just ripped out my old bathroom suite and renewed the piping like for like. when i installed the bath (changed the ends for taps so i took the feed from closer to the hot water tank but same pipes used) when i fitted the new taps (shower / bath mixer it stated Taps suitable for use on all water systems from 0.2 to 6.0 BAR ) the hot water pressure was very low cold was fine. things i have done.
1. changed the cold and hot flexi ( the hot flexi is 22mm)pipes and the cold came through the hot tap lovely but the hot trickled out of the cold tap.
2.checked the ariators and they are clear.
3 checked the hot water flow in the rest of the house and it is the same as it was its just the bath taps.
the tank is a elson diamond double feed indirect hot water tank
and the pump is a wilo gold 50...
if anyone has any ideas please help because i am goin insane with the wife nagging me to sort this out,......

Sponsored Links
it stated Taps suitable for use on all water systems from 0.2 to 6.0 BAR
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: they often say that

Have you bought some really trendy, stylish Italian taps?

show us a pic

What size are the tails on the taps?

How high is the cold-water tank above the taps?

It also sounds like you have fitted a mixer tap where the cold is from the mains (high pressure) and the hot is from the tank (low pressure). If so, this is wrong and will never work properly.

[/img]
the tank is about 1 ft behind the taps and about 2metres above them.
i used the same pipes that where used for the original taps just closer to the tank thats all.
what are the tails (newbee or just thick)
and yes it is a mixer tap with a shower head on it.
the taps are these

Sponsored Links
the tails are the threaded parts that stick out of the bottom of the tap and you connect the pipe to

They might be as thick as a pencil, or your finger, or your thumb. Thumb is best.

(10mm, 15mm, 22mm or therabouts)

What's that about a pump?

Did you have a mixer tap before or was it just normal taps? Is your cold mains or tank fed?

I don't believe it is anything to do with the pump (what you have heard about is I think the Central Heating pump, which is not the case with your problem) or an air lock. It is the water supply. I have a mixer shower fed from a tank, which gives reasonable, but not impressive, pressure and flow. The tank is just over 10 metres above the shower (I have a tall house) which gives 1 bar of pressure . You will not get much from your low tank.

I think the problem is that
(1)your fashionable new taps have smaller waterways in than than the old-fashioned British taps you had before, so you get less flow through them, and
(2) you have mains-pressure cold and low-pressure hot, which never work correctly through a mixer tap.

If you are looking for a straightforward, effective, easy and economical solution to your proiblem, buy some ordinary British pillar taps and sell your mixers on Ebay :(

If you want a more complex and expensive solution, change your cold-water supply to the bathroom taps to a tank-fed (so it is balanced pressure), and add a Shower Pump to make them squirt more forecfully.

If you want a much more complex, expensive and lengthy solution, keep your fashionable taps and change your hot-water system to a Combi boiler or a pressurised cylinder

Basically what John's saying, and what I was kind of getting around to, is that you can't have unbalanced pressures on a mixer tap. The reason for this is that the high-pressure cold will stop the low-pressure hot running out of the tap, so you need to balance the pressures somehow. Incidentally your new setup is probably also in contravention of the water regulations as I am assuming you haven't fitted backflow protection to prevent hot water being drawn into the mains in the event of a mains failure...

ok johnd thanks for your help and we are gonna get some new taps and less hassle lol.. again many thanks.

no muggles i did`nt i just used the same setup for the piping as was there before just further along the pipe do i need to do something else then

New individual taps would solve all your problems nice and simply so do that as JD suggested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back