Oil additives - domestic kerosene28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone tried any of these products in their domestic oil? Examples are

ICI Topanol http://www.cpsfuels.co.uk/topanol.html

Boilermax http://www.boilerjuice.com/shop/cat/5/Oil+additives.html/

and there are others. I've tried asking OFTEC, and received this reply:

We understand there are a number of claimed fuel enhancing products on the market, commonly promoted as creating cleaner combustion, increased fuel economy and lower emissions. Unfortunately, we do not have resources to investigate the validity of the claims and therefore cannot comment on how effective they really are. We have previously approached companies and requested independent evidence of such claims, but this information has never been presented to us.

Anecdotal evidence would be useful, but better still, any oil techie people out there with information?
Or suggestions about how to get independant research done, given Oftec's 'resource' issue.

Sponsored Links
Topanol is used by many oil co's as an additive to improve performance of Vapurising Burners, such as AGA's, to reduce the premature carbon build up that is causing problems across the contry, due to a lowering of sulphur within the fuel. if you have one of these burners, then it may be worth considering.
If however you have a more common Pressure Jet appliance I take the view that it would not be worth bothering with ;)

I have a customer that uses Exocet, and after 12 months on an Aga conversion, you can hardly see that it has been running.
If you use it and have a P.J boiler and an Aga, then what oil the boiler uses will give no advantage but still cost. The sum is how much extra does it cost versus the increased service frequency costs.

ICI Topanol is an anti-oxidant additive widely sold by ICI throughout the UK, Europe and the Middle East. Sold primarily into the aviation markets both military and civil, it is used to maintain the essential quality of jet kerosene to within its manufacturer’s performance specification.

Sponsored Links
ICI Topanol is an anti-oxidant additive widely sold by ICI throughout the UK, Europe and the Middle East. Sold primarily into the aviation markets both military and civil, it is used to maintain the essential quality of jet kerosene to within its manufacturer’s performance specification.

generally hand dosed when refuelling through stored bulk fuel ie when using pantograpghs(god i´ve forgotten how to spell it) refuelling stations.
F34 would be military spec fuel with topanol already added.

Lack of topanol causes water sediment issues.

So if I was flying aircraft out of my garden it would be worth adding to my oil, but otherwise not? Yes?

Wouldn't worry too much about these additives, wait until they start adding bio-fuels, that'll soon f.ck up your burner!!!
But hey hoo, more work for us.......karching!! karching!!!.... :LOL: :LOL:

Very cold weather now forecast! So I've ordered my new Merc!!

If you are concerned about spam, why resurrect a 2 year old thread to highlight it??

Strange.

Mike - his spamalot comment was directed at a post of mine - concerning some info about an additive my company sells - That post has subsequently been deleted - clearly contraveining the rules (im sorry for that I thought it was relavent). If yourself or anyone is still interested in oil additives - drop me a personal message and I can pass on some info concerning the product we sell as well as highlighting the different approaches taken by various additives to tackle the issues associated with low sulphur fuels.

Nigel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back