Oil Boiler constant lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1970's oil boiler (Make not shown on it anywhere) which keeps locking out. It will run until the house heats and then locks out (occasionally before then). To get it going again I have to keep resetting the lockout button about 10 times. The finned fan gradually gets faster after each reset until it goes fast enough for the boiler to fire up. I am receiving disability living allowance and waiting for a local authority funded replacement but looking at about 10 weeks before they can fit it. I had a boiler man come round a couple of weeks ago who said that the bearings may be going. The problem was worse after he had been. Any temporary suggestions appreciated.
Barry

Sponsored Links
He's obviously not a boiler man. Motor capacitor is the likely problem, and if you remove the motor and rotate the fan, does it feel stiff? If so bearings need changing.

Problem sorted. It was the bearings in the motor which are non replaceable. The rrepair man had an old motor in his garage which he came and fitted for £10. Bargain. Thanks for your help.
Barry

Out of interest, what does the plate on the burner say?

Sponsored Links
I change bearings in this type of burner often, but I wouldn't do it for £10, so you have a bargain there. Although you don't know how long the bearings will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back