Oil boiler in outside room & thermostat - how does that

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help - some general advice needed please. I've just moved and i'm trying to work out how the CH/water system works. The oil boiler is housed in an unheated outside room (at the back of the garage), there is a manual dial type thermostat on the wall in this room which appears to go from -10 to +15. There doesn't appear to be a wall mounted thermostat in the house. All the radiators in the house have TRVs. It all appears to be controlled by a Potterton EP2000 timer. So do I assume that the boiler is controlled by the air temperature in this unheated outside room (presumably why the wall thermostat appears to have a very low temperature range compared with one you would find inside a house) and does that mean when it comes on is governed by the temperature outside the house rather than inside? Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the wall stat is a frost stat

it will turn the boiler on to prevent freezing / damage ;)

its there to protect the system not control the heating :D

it also appears there's no room stat inside the house - I guess the temperature of the house is governed by the individual TRVs in each room - is this common as i've not come across this before? also what temperature setting should the frost stat be on? thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should have a room thermostat, unless the boiler is designed to work without one. No room thermostat means the boiler will continue running even when all the TRVs have closed the radiators off. This wastes fuel.

When you fit the room thermostat, you should either change the TRV on the rad nearest the stat to a lockshield valve, or just remove the thermostatic head (cheaper but uglier). A wireless stat would make wiring much easier.

Do you have a programmer/timer for your central heating?

yes - it's got a programmer/timer. i'll have another look around tonight but i reckon there is no room thermostat - it's a rented house so i doubt if the owner will pay for to have one installed whilst they're not living there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back