Oil boiler not working (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need an experience plumber to suggest the next step. My oil boiler has stopped working with a burning smell after a month of no use. Nozzle replaced two months ago. I tested boiler motor and circuit pump and both working. I replaced transformer. Boiler started but stopped several times. Seems to be no starting sequence when turned on at programmer.
I am suspecting pump. Would I be correct in going for pump. It’s 30 years old.

Sponsored Links
The oil pump wouldn't fail with a burning smell. I reckon it might be the control box (that governs the startup sequence) that has burnt out. I had exactly the same issue after starting my oil boiler after a period if disuse. Damp can get into the electronics and, if they are getting old, this can lead to burn out

Thanks Chris, . The boiler comes on now and again then after maybe 30 minutes stops. There is no lockout. Would a damaged control box allow it to do this.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming the burning smell related to the transformer . I replaced this, I tested those one yesterday and there was no spark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back