Oil Boiler PLUS ASHP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of buying a period property that needs EVERYTHING done

I’m working my way through the complex web of options and incentives that are available to heating an off-gas-grid property.

Some property info:

Single extension
Engineered wooden floor entire ground floor
UFH downstairs
We’ll be improving the insulation throughout (helped by the Green Homes Grant), probably including rerendering the solid walls outside over insulation - not a cheap option....

It would appear that (over a seven year period) an ASHP is actually free, you do have to lump out for the initial purchase, but get the lion's share of the money back in time.

There are some concerns about the noise associated with an ASHP and its ability to effectively heat an entire property, including lower water temps, much larger radiators and slow reaction to heat requests.

it looks as though the easiest (and cheapest if you look at a 20 year payback) is actually a replacement of the existing oil boiler.

Is it possible to combine both?

Effectively have the boiler for hot water and normal-sized radiators upstairs with the ASHP running the UFH downstairs?

Even further, is it possible to have the boiler taking the 35-40 degree water output from the HP and boosting that?

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
I've just completed a combined GSHP / oil hybrid system. The GSHP provides the primary heating for the buffer, and the oil boiler is used as a backup to produce additional heat when the GSHP struggle to keep up in the very coldest weather. I'm sure the same principle could be applied to ASHP. The GSHP on my project could happily heat the buffer to 55°C so flow temps weren't hideously low

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back