Oil boiler supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am basically having a oil fired central heating installed soon, and I am reading up on the information so I know what is going on and am not ignorent as to the installation. Most things i understand, but in the oil line supply (two pipe system) the manual says that in the 10mm suction line there must be a spring loaded non return valve, filter, shut off valve and fire valve. Its quite interesting stuff but basically I would like to see what these things look like. I can't find any of these things in a search on plumbworld or screwfix for example, but i would like to know. Any ideas where i can find such information??

Thanx.

Sponsored Links
You probably don't need any more than 6mm pipe. Bear in mind 10mm will deliver around 20 gall/hr.

Thanx Baxpoti, good website.

Oilman: the manual says 10mm, connections in the boiler are 10mm, so then there would be a reduction out of the tank and a step back up to 10mm on connection to the boiler?

Also all the tank accessories all refer to inches but pipe is 10mm (so for example the filter has a 3/8 inch connection) is this correct size? I don't know why in the plumbing world things are confused in sizes - why can't all be inches or mm (mm is more exact anyway)?

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just own up to wanting to install your own oil boiler? Its not a crime.

Surely no one would go into the detail of the pipe fittings if they were not planning to do the job themselves?

I agree Simond. Too many posts follow the patten of 'I want to be informed before I get ripped off' or 'so I'm well informed' or even, 'I am asking on behalf of a friend' etc etc...... Admitting to DIY hardly carries the same stigma as attempting to buy a copy of Men Only 'for a friend'.

use 10mm as per the destructions from the manufacturer.

6mm?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: you having a larff

arent ya??????

Thanx Baxpoti, good website.

Oilman: the manual says 10mm, connections in the boiler are 10mm, so then there would be a reduction out of the tank and a step back up to 10mm on connection to the boiler?

Also all the tank accessories all refer to inches but pipe is 10mm (so for example the filter has a 3/8 inch connection) is this correct size? I don't know why in the plumbing world things are confused in sizes - why can't all be inches or mm (mm is more exact anyway)?

I don't know many (any) boilers where you connect the copper oil line directly to the boiler, this is usually done by flexible fuel pipe which helps the Engineer to remove the burner for servicing...10mm is the most common size pipe found to connect the tank up to the boiler where it is connected the the flex hose (or hoses).

The 3/8 inch connection will be the female thread on the filter that you fit you fittings to... so for example to fit a 10mm copper tube to the filter you will need a 10mm fitting (flare is recomended but most people will use compression) with a 3/8 male thread on the opposite end..... I think the fire valves have a 1/4 female thread ........

but honestly if I need to be explaining this really basic stuff to you I think you should maybe just leave it to a pro... Oil is not a huge risk to your health like gas but If you get it wrong and leak the contents of your oil tank into the ground you could end up with a HUGE bill from the environment agency..

use 10mm as per the destructions from the manufacturer.

6mm?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: you having a larff

arent ya??????

It's about time you read your literature. If it's ok to use a 6mm pipe for loads of metres when using a top outlet tank, then it's ok to use it for a bottom outlet tank. But then I suppose you change nozzles every year. You can run a 400kW burner on a 10mm pipe, so you will be able to work out that you can run a 20kW burner on a much smaller one. :rolleyes:

Its just that no M.I s ive read recently have quoted 6mm pipe.

unfortunately there are no smilies for "you fekkin loser"

:LOL:

as for nozzles, I change em every year. :LOL:

Then look at the pipe sizing given by Titan for their top outlet tanks. You also see some MIs which say a 2 pipe or tiger loop should be used if the tank is below the boiler, meanwhile HRM are using the same burner on the Wallstar, with the same pump and tell you not to use a tiger loop. You could do with some understanding of physics and engineering instead of resorting to abuse, but then what do you expect from a nozzle changer. :p

Ok, then i will really blow your minds with this one. Yes I am planning the work myself (easily figured out there - but you guys usually don't give the information so freely i notice because everything really should be commissioned by corgi reg guys (rules and regs etc)).

But here goes, I live in Estonia and it is much different here, this equipment is cheaper in the uk and Corgi is the Queens dog here they have heard. The oil boiler system they have (because of upto -30 degree winters) means the tank is fitted 'inside' the house right next to the boiler. And the boiler type is a Jäspi (from Sweden or somewhere) which is a big old fashioned steel monster and ridiculously expensive (£3000).

So i am purchasing boiler and some parts from the UK and having them shipped by dhl (much cheaper). Boiler is a Trianco 50/90 utility system, copper pipework and radiators are not a problem to fit. Electrical connections are all straight forward. But my concern is the fittings from the oil tank to the boiler - the oil supply/return lines will literally be less than one meter - should i use 6mm if it saves the nozzle and reduce after the tank and before the boiler or should i just stick to 10mm? And i want to make sure that these 'inch' sizes are common everywhere before i buy a fire valve/non return valve in UK and find it doesn't fit to the pipe connections here.

As for leaving it to a pro, there is really no such thing here, I think this the country all the cowboys go to hang up their spurs. I have one quote of over 123,000 eek (£5500) to install everything which is a bit much - but the point here is that i am english and they think i must have lots of money to be ripped off with.

But your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back