oil cosumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help? I've got a vertually new Danesmoor 26/32 utility boiler. It's running 11 rads all of which have thermo valves set at the first notch above the frost setting. As a result the internal temp is normally about 11 to 13 degrees which is then toped up in the living area by a wood burner (so rads i that room are off x 3). The boiler isn't heating the water which is on an emersion (more of which in a minute). 7 weeks ago I had 500litres of oil delivered and yesterday I ran out of oil. The system is raising the temp about 6 or 7 degrees against the backround and yet the consumption is really high. Why is that?

Now the water: I've been trying to use as little oil as possible and have been running the water off the emersion through a renuable energy tariff. Water is in a premier plus 210 litre unvented cylinder which is so well laged that it doesn't feel warm to the touch yet it is using up an average of 15 units every 24 hrs. Theres only 3 of us here and it seems very high.

Any ideas gratfully recieved!

Sponsored Links
That's 10 litres a day which at your boiler's output = 3.4 hrs per day of continuous operation. Spread that across the whole day (so allowing for on/off cycles) does not seem unusual. Electric energy to heat up 210 M/flo will be considerable. Insulation will limit standing heat loss but there's no getting away from energy usage to re-heat HW after baths etc.

Sorry to be blunt but with a set up of 26/32 boiler & 210 unvented you can't expect to p**s around with 500 litres much as it hurts. Most people with this demand would be buying 2000-2500 at a time. I'm not suggesting this applies to you but I've had many examples of customers who scream at the energy costs when moving to a large country house only to spend £20 - £30 a day fuelling the Range Rover for the school run.

We too have a Danesmoor 26/32, about 4 years old. It's rated by Sedbuk at 85% whish isn't bad. Although we have three beds the house is large and we have a numbing 14 rads. All except two in the baths have TRVs, most on 6-7 or so. (Two unused beds are off.) Roomstat is set to 18 and temp in the living room sometimes reaches 20+, but not that often. The boiler also supplies h/w as we can't switch it off. The heating/hw is on 8.5 hrs a day. Yes, it is cold sometimes during the day.

We use around 13-14 litres a day. I would love to use less but haven't found out how. That's 500 ltrs in just over 5 weeks. We do order 2000 litres a time which doesn't help with the consumption but reduces orders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back