Oil fired burner inside house!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay,

I bought a house that uses a convection heating system to heat the rooms. I had a survey done last year - all was okay, but a friend of mine who installs boilers couldnt believe that the burner was situated inside the house! (its downstairs in basement).

He thinks its highly dangerous and doesnt know how building regs passed it. (it was built around 1978).

Now its got me worried, do i take it up with the surveyor of mortgage company? or is it safe?

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Is this an LPG fired system? In which case he has a point.

yes i think it is an LPG fired system, I know nothing about heating systems but I can tell you that theres a firing mechanism which you can see through a blue plastic disc.

The burner starts then ignites into a flame, which start burning the oil.

Is there specific legislation for these type of boliers? Also its prob worth noting that the boiler is large, not a wall mounted thing but one that sits on the ground and is about 1.5 metres x 1.5metres with flue going up and out through a chimney type vent on roof.

Sponsored Links
selectoss burner on what sounds like a thorn ODY .

yes, I know its "selectos" but I prefer selectoss. :LOL:

I'm guessing you dont rate the system :confused:

we are thinking of getting a modern (pref quiet???) boiler to replace the noise that it blasts out.

Do you recommend any?

Also would you suggest moving it outside?

anything with an Riello RDB burner on , is very quiet. , all the modern burners are ok. But the RDB is particularly quiet , that all.

Boiler make wise .I like the Grant (has RDB ) , the Wallstar (wall mounted believe it or not..) and the new thermecons are ok .

but thats just my opinion so all you frekkin lawyers back off..

Surprising it may be, but none of us can see your site, so any suggestions may be unworkable. Why don't you get somebody local to come round and look at it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back