Oil fired combination boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a screeching noise coming from the boiler when the hot taps or central heating is turned on. It used to be for one second and after you turned the tap/thermostat off and then back on again all was OK. The system has been drained twice and all radiators bled (by qualified engineer). The cirulatory pump has been changed but the noise is now worse and is not just for one second but is continual. Boiler cannot be used. No hot water. No heating. Boiler still under warranty. Nightmare-Desperate.Can anyone help :?:

Sponsored Links
I am always suspicious of this term "qualified" engineer!

The real question is if he is experienced. Clearly not in your case as he is unable to identify a simple fault.

A mechanical stethoscope will quickly identify the faulty component.

If the pump is inside the boiler have either of you bled the air out of the pump? If external then is the pump rotor horizontal?

Tony

I am not sure if I am using this forum correctly and replying to the answers that I have received but the engineers who attended to my boiler are a large Company and were sent by the manufacturers on an under warranty call. The stethoscope test was used but the enginner changed the pump but was not convinced that it was the problem. he spent two hours here and throughly tested everything. But the screeching noise is worse. !!

Sponsored Links
what make and model boiler?
The make is a Grant V70 oil fired combination boiler. The engineer who attended is very qualified. He was here for two hours. The boiler was OK when I came home as he had left the heating on but the next day when I turned the heating on from the thermostat the boiler made the screeching noise. Turned off & turned on and it was OK but today the screech is continual.

I am always suspicious of this term "qualified" engineer!

The real question is if he is experienced. Clearly not in your case as he is unable to identify a simple fault.

A mechanical stethoscope will quickly identify the faulty component.

If the pump is inside the boiler have either of you bled the air out of the pump? If external then is the pump rotor horizontal?

Tony
The engineer was very qualified and was attending the call under warranty from Grant. The day this boiler was installed I had a massive oil leak and the pump was changed. Six months later I discovered that there was a leak on the boiler (Pipes at the top) had been leaking some considerable time. That was when the noise started just before the leak was discovered. All pipes have now been changed and leak rectified but noise still persists and has got worse.

Most likely to be the oil pump, though may be a motor bearing. Contact Grant and let them know the situation. It is not in their interest to send in hicks who present themselves as engineers. This fault is a diagnosis time of 5 to 10 mins, and about an hour to rectify.

Most likely to be the oil pump, though may be a motor bearing. Contact Grant and let them know the situation. It is not in their interest to send in hicks who present themselves as engineers. This fault is a diagnosis time of 5 to 10 mins, and about an hour to rectify.
thanks very much for reply. On the day the boiler was commissioned I came home and oil was pouring out of the bottom of the boiler. The engineer came and fitted a new oil pump. This was twelve months ago could the new pump therefore still be faulty. After the first fault the boiler worked fine. Then the boiler dropped pressure and a leak was found on the boiler. Now over the last three months I have had this screeching noise that is getting progessively worse. ( Circulatory pump changed last week) did not cure problem. Ask for a new boiler perhaps. Any ideas what I can ask them to check to prove that there is a problem with this boiler. (Engineer has heard the screeching noise)

You do not need a new boiler, you just need the fault fixing. The oil pump could cause the problem, it is probably caused by the oil you are using, but the immediate fix is a new pump if necessary, while the manufacturers argue with the oil suppliers.

It would be a very quick exercise to work out which rotating component is causing the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back