Oil pipe buried under concrete path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping some one may be able to advise on the best route forwards. Basically we are just about to renovate our garden, turfs and gone and looks like a mud bath. Next step will be installing a new patio, however in between the house and oil tank we have a concrete path, and on the diagonal in one section a cut which is cemented in.

On having our oil tank replaced they obviously sank the pipe in the same route as before. One I want to avoid damaging it but secondly I think I've read the regulations are the run should be buried 600mm below ground - it's more like 100mm as I've almost dug it up on gardening. Question should I as the company to re do this run or attempt to lift the rest of the slab hoping it will fall apart so I can lay the patio?

Any help/advise appreciated!

Sponsored Links
google the OFTEC domestic oil supply pipes regs. A one page PDF.

Why would the installers change the supply pipe route without your directing them to or discussing your future plans with them?

Thanks Vinn, in their defence it was down two years before we finally decided the final layout, we had to get it replaced as it was leaking on us getting the house. checking the PDF, just confirms they can get out here and dig a little deeper! The tape is showing and if it was correctly laid it's only 150mm below the soil level. They trashed our garden without telling me (working full time you can't always control they took a tree down and never took the old plinth away), and we've had one leak on the pipe already. Brilliant add a few extra weeks to the garden reno plans!

Sponsored Links
There aren't legally enforceable rules in the oil domain in the same way as there are for the gas industry.

Therefore if your original installer wasn't OFTEC registered there is little you can do other than involve Building Control or trading standards.

And the tape is not meant to be laid directly on top of the pipe, so if it is 150mm down that doesn't mean the pipe is just beneath it.

Ancient proverb; if you want the job done a particular way, leave instructions or be on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back