Oil Storage Tank Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1200L plastic oil storage tank for domestic heating. Today we had an oil delivery in which the driver managed to make a minor spillage with oil over the tank and over the fence next to it, he says there is a hole in the top which should have a bung in it but says it wasn't there before he started which makes me wonder why he would start if he thought this might be and issue, but my main questions are 1. would there have been a bung in this hole?, and 2. what what would this hole be used for?

IMG_20160105_093045_zpsrbrnfi3b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did he also point out it was too close to a combustible boundary?

Sponsored Links
If it's where a sender unit would go and there hasn't been a unit there since we have been at the house then would there have been a bung or cap on it? as surely water would have got into the oil tank we have have never had a problem with the boiler.

It looks like the previous owner has removed the transmitter, maybe to sell it on.
Anyway, block the hole with some silicone or whatever, just to keep the rain out.
John :)

I have it covered temporarily for now but will sort it permanently tomorrow. I am not saying the delivery driver had any role certainly not purposely, its just we have been at the house a few years or so and there has never been a sender unit on it and we have never had any spillages until now and as far as i am aware no water in the oil tank certainly none to affect the boiler as i would have thought it would make the boiler cut out wouldn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back