Oil watchman or ring fault? please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strange problem I cannot identify.

I have an oil watchman alarm plugged into a socket in the kitchen, this is about 6 months old and I've never noticed a problem before the last week.

When I switch the kettle on the display on the watchman switches off and resets. (this does not happen every time, probably about 80%) First thougt is a kettle fault, until today when I switched on the iron, same thing happens so it seems it occurs on current flow.

Faulty watchman or ring fault?

Sponsored Links
It may be a bad connection on one of the sockets ( or a junction, somewhere). The connection may fail when a large current goes through the circuit.

What happens when you plug the watchman into a socket on a different circuit?

Thanks for your reply, so simple I didn't think of it!

I'll try a different circuit tonight.

Different circuit tried, fault replicates itself.

Just so I am sure, is there any other potential fault (RCD) that could cause this?

Sponsored Links
Different circuit tried, fault replicates itself.

Just so I am sure, is there any other potential fault (RCD) that could cause this?

No, this could be a serious problem. Possible loose connection near the origin of the circuit. Loose connections generate heat and I don't need to tell you what could happen. If this is a ring circuit then you may have more than one problem. You should get a qualified electrician to check this as a matter of urgency.

Sparkticus, thanks for your reply.

Now tried watchman in my garage, wired to another rcd from the meter, no problem.

I guess tomorrow I'll be looking for an electrician.

Apart from a loose connection (and no, I dont touch rcd's so won't be checking) is it possible an CU fault?

Could be a fault in the consumer unit itself, or anywhere on the circuit.
I agree, needs expertise on site.

Have yet to have an electrician visit, arrangements due to be made Monday.

Over the last 24 hours problem (watchman) seems to have become worse. This afternoon it switched off when the oven was switched on. (definately not on same circuit!) I have also noticed that while there is a high draw on power the watchman is not even trying to reset, its just off.

I again took the watchman and the iron to the garage and now the fault replicates! the only common is the incomming meter and a on/off box with fuse. the systems seperate at this point and run their respective CU's

Has anyone any idea what this watchman is so sensitive to?

Have yet to have an electrician visit, arrangements due to be made Monday.

Good.

Has anyone any idea what this watchman is so sensitive to?

You almost certainly have a loose connection in the live or neutral (or both) near the origin of your supply, possibly in the consumer unit.

A good electrician will find the fault within 30 minutes or so assuming the fault is in an accessible area. In the meantime try not to use heavy electrical loads such as the oven. Easier said than done I know.

Also, you can thank your watchman for giving you an early warning!

By the way. when the oven is on can you hear anything near the consumer unit or smell anything burning?

Obviously you do need to be very careful because if it is a loose connection then they can be a source of fire!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back