oil,wax or varnish for reclaimed oak parquet?

Sponsored Links
Dear AdviceDIY,

Just please make sure you read the instructions of Hardwax Oil before applying, as WYL says, it can last for years if applied properly (thinly) but you can see in this forum that it has caused many people many problems over the years.

My personal choice would have been a Waterbased (easy to use and quick drying) finish that has been specifically formulated to give the same appearance as a Hardwax Oil (natural) but without the inherent application difficulties. Its called Aquacoat SP Matt.

Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

Sponsored Links
I have laid approx 40m2 reclaimed mahogany parquet 3 years ago. having lived with using osmo hardwax oil for two years I have just resanded because of the poor durability to scratches etc. I'm in total agreement with Nestor_Kelebay. I switched to Bona traffic which is a varnish with a catalyser/hardener, absolutely fantastic... No scratches, fantastic finish and can take everything my young kids through at it without blemishes (including dragging heavy foot stool with metal legs across the floor. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE USE OF GOOD QUALITY VARNISH SUCH AS TRAFFIC OR MEGA OVER ANY POLYWAX OIL... HOPE THIS HELPS CAN PROVIDE PICTURES IF NECESSARY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back