Old 6” ceramic drain pipe - joint angles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a question about replacing a section of ceramic waste pipe that has developed cracks and root penetration over the 70 years that it’s been in the ground. The 6” pipe runs parallel to the length of my ranch house, 8 feet away; it’s fed by lines from two bathrooms (the kitchen, further downstream, is not affected).

I’ve dug up a few areas to determine how much of it needs to be replaced. I’m trying to be selective about where I dig, as the “yard” is mostly covered by red brick. (I can’t afford to hire a pro; at worst, I would do all the digging myself and have a pro come in just to help with the actual pipe fittings.)

For the bathroom at the “headwaters” end, the pipe angles away from the house at ~60 deg. before turning parallel to the house. I haven’t yet found where the other bathroom joins into the main pipe. Is the joint there more or less likely to be a right angle vs. a wider angle (which would seemingly provide for better flow)? If it were a right angle, it would be exactly where a large tree is now growing; digging there would require cutting through a tangle of thick roots and removing the tree. On the other hand, if the pipe from the 2nd bathroom were at the same angle (60 deg.), well, I’ve dug there and there’s no joint.

So, was there a standard practice 70 years ago as to the angle of a joint where a side pipe feeds into a main pipe (both ceramic)?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Kraig

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back