old back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next to my fire place I have found two pipes which run up to ceiling they are boxed in with a small door at bottom. I have gas central heating so i am assuming that these are not required anymore. Is it possible to have them removed so I can gain space right up to the side of chimney breast.Does this mean there is also something behind the bricked up fire place. I have heard people mention back boilers but i dont know if this is the case. My house was builtg approx 50 years ago.
thanks in anticipation :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
They are probably the old flow and return pipes from an old back boiler installation and wouldn't surprise me if they are still full of water and connected to the system.....really need a photo to see exactly what you are referring to though.

Sometimes there is a drain cock in a hatch in the chimney breast or at the bottom of the exposed pipes. Attach hose drain, cut out. Unless they are still part of your domestic hot water system, in a direct dhwc. Then you will have to get someone to cut them off at the cylinder and cap off, using lots of emery to make a 28mm cap fit 1" pipe, usually bent double in the dark at the back of the airing cupboard. A real fun job.

If you have a combi, cut them out and let the floor dry naturally unless you are one of the reallyh impractical people with a floor that would please Lynda Barker but is made of a deadly material mdf and a coat if resin to make it look falsly like wood, that doesn't like water, and has to be taken up every time you have a plumbing problem under the floor, but isn't made to be taken up and put down more than once, but what the heck plumbers are all rich so they can buy me a new floor.

Before you do any cutting, I recommend you follow these pipes to see if they are still connected to your heating system!

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back