OLD BATTERY CHARGER - IS IT WORKING?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to charge a flat car battery - never done it before.
Exide Japanese WO54SE 35AHR 320 CCA D43W23 showing Discharged (Recharge) off old Nissan Micra.

I inherited one of these: SELMAR STAR Battery Charger Input 220/240V AC 50Hz Output 5.6 amps RMS 12V DC, but no instructions. My Dad used to use it on his Cortina.

I've connected everything up, the charger is humming but the gauge hasn't moved. The gauge goes blue, yellow, red from 1 to 5 amps. The wires joining to the crocodile clips looked a bit fragile but were intact.

Is there anyone out there old enough (!) to recognise/remember this charger who could offer some advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the battery is dead flat, it might be a while before you see any movement of the needle. And if it is that flat, it might not charge at all. Do you have another battery to try it on?

put a 12 volt bulb across the croc clips and see if it lights up

if not

IIRC these chargers have a fuse inside that will blow if you connect to the wrong terminals on the battery. It is probably a spade type with two prongs same as many cars use. I think 15A or so but if you have a look inside (with the power off) you can look.

Thanks for reply. Yes, have got another car. Should I take this other battery out and connect it all up to the old charger?

Sponsored Links
It says "Fitted with thermal automatic protection. No output fuse needed."

Apologies, dim person posting this - can I use something like an indicator bulb?

The charger is working, maybe your battery has had it. How old is it and how long has it been flat for?

Battery about 5 years. Only conked out yesterday - previously no probs. Car been left standing for a few weeks. Been having a rewire - nightmare contractor, no time to take old car out.

Think leave on charge, if it's charging should the gauge go up? Appreciate help.

Dead as a dodo.

Discovered one of these at the back of a cupboard.

Initially showed about 1.5amps, then fell back to zero.
Downside: new battery needed. Upside: learned lots.
Thanks for help.

Update: Not dead after all. 83 year old ex-mechanic neighbour suggested I tested with his charger to see if it was dead.

I'd presumed it was dead because my charger was showing zero amps. Assume that, overnight, it must have charged up, then fallen back to zero. The Pro User charger confirmed this. Battery now back in car and all up and running. State of charge indicator now bright green - but did I think to look??? Live and learn.

Hi

This is a very long shot, but you might be snowed in like me!! My battery was flat after all the cold weather, and I have found my very old Selmar Star Battery charger, but of course the instructions disappeared long ago. I have connected it all up and the 'hand' is ticking backwards and forwards from 1 to 5. Is it supposed to do this?! Would be very grateful for your advice if you are online!

Many thanks

Kathie

That's usually because the battery is as flat as a pancake. If you leave it on charge for a while it should steady up as the battery starts to take a charge, if it's not knackered already.

Sponsored Links
Back