Old Baxi Boiler not firing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a really old Baxi Bermuda boiler with fire:

Gas Council Numbers:

30 - 44 077 08
40 - 44 077 06

We recently moved into this house and we have plans in the next 4-5 months for knocking the place about quite considerably. The boiler to the property doesn't fire up and although it's quite obvious it needs replacing, the wall where the new one is to go isn't there yet.

The gas fire works and the piolt stays on, but the the boiler doesn't fire up. The wiring diagram shows switched power going to the stat, then through the boiler gas valve then through what appears tobe a tubular resistor (read somewhere about this being done to reduce radio interferance) back to the wiring block.

I'm not sure whether it's the resistor or the gas valve itself (how do I test if there's power to it?). In either case I guess I'd need a replacement for one of these. Does anybody know where I could get one, or indeed has one lying about? Or, failing that, can I just do away with the tubular resistor without any damage to the valve?

If I can get it to work, I will obviously not be using the boiler until a corgi registered plumber has checked the system out, but at the same time I don't want to have to pay £60-70 for someone to tell me the parts not available.

It's cold, and there's no point in getting the new combi in until the renovation work has started. Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check those GC numbers.

44 077 is for Bermuda, 08 06?

One's for the fire and the other is for the boiler. I don't know which is which. It's a Baxi Bermuda 5 if that helps!?

Sponsored Links
how do I test if there's power to it?

With a voltmeter :idea: ;)

I doin't think there's any problems with parts for old baxi back boilers, but DO get the thing serviced, some of them are in a terrible state.

Baxi 5 are from about 1968 (does it have 5 radiants maybe 3 ). if it is stevensons valve (gas valve) and Green or white long resistor not been available for at least 10 years if not 15 years

Thanks for that.

Yes it's a long green resistor, I guess then if that's gone, or the valve has gone then I'm really in trouble. Can I simply wire out the resistor if it's not working (I've been told the reduction in voltage was to stop radio interferance).
As for radents, are these the blocks on the fire itself? If so, there's five of these (two of which are broken).
Also, if the valve isn't available, are there other generic valves I can buy? Surely these things just open and close with power - they can't be too diferent - or can they?
For the time being my only hope (I suppose) is that there's no power getting from the thermostat. I guess I'll have to buy a voltmeter.

Thanks,

Will

On these if the resistor went it blew the stevie valve , no there is no way of wiring resitor out, Just to chear you up threw both of these bits in the bin 2 months ago cause have not fitted them for at least 15 years.. Only way you will get one is to find a scrapy that collects the old boilers and hopefully bits will be ok .The greeen resisitor was replaced by a white one on the 572, parts are inter changeable.

But we are talking about a boiler nearly forty years old.. so change it.

Baxipoti does your computer not go back that far. ;)

The resistor on these was not for radio interference whoever told you that is thinking of the suppressor that was fitted to later boilers

baxipoti you must have worked on a baxi 5 also known as the plus.The burner tray was more or less same as a 572, but the fire and case where one unit held in place by a bar and 2 springs. 45 by the way

NOOOOOOOOO!!! Bits in the bin two months ago. AGHHH! Which bin, and where's the landfill site? I might end up going for a rummage. Anyone else got some of these? Thanks for your advice on this everyone, it's been really helpful!

Will

Also, is there any other valve that I can use as a generic replacement? I can't see it being difficult, there's not anything over complicated about the valve is there? - power gets to it, it opens, power stops it closes, aren't all valves the same?

Failing finding a replacement part, I suppose I could always buy a second hand back boiler and firefront from ebay, I've seen them going for about £20. How easy are these to swap over (Hours work)? I've seen Baxi replacemnts and Glowworm ones - would there be much difference. Obviously it's just a short term solution to get us through the winter before the a new heating system is installed. Am I likely to get anyone to fit it though? The old baxi 5 just had a sort of open flue arrangement (not connected directly to the flue). I guess if I were to find a plumber to fit one, they'd want me to fit a flue liner (wouldn't they) which would add loads to the price.

I know you all must be thinking this is crazy and I should just replace the old one now but there's lots to contend with:

The old radiators would need to be powerflushed (I guess) to avoid messing up the new boilers guarantee.
Most of the radiators are going with the refurbishment
The new boiler will be a combi and I'm worried the old pipes won't be up to the pressure (the pipes will be replaced with the refurb).
The wall where the new boiler is isn't there yet (so would need to be moved again when we do the refurb work.
We've limited money.

So that's why I'm looking for a cheap alternative to get me through.

If anyone knows where I might find a doner Baxi Bermuda 5, please let me know. Or indeed if anyone knows if I can use generic parts, that'd be great too.

Thanks

Will

Back boilers can no longer be fitted !!

The rules for an exemption certificate make sure of this!

Yes you would need to fit a liner!!

There are always dodgy installers who would fit one for you, but it would be an illegal installation !!

You would be better biting the bullet and upgrading your system !!

Not in reference to this job........ But Wrong back boilers can be fitted and are not ILLEGAL this is a mis conception but they must meet a points system and pass a thousand points which is not really that hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back