Old boiler+rads out-new combi & rads in-powerflush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Great site!! Hope you can help!

Our old system is coming out - boiler = 8yrs old and rads = 30yrs old. Never had a problem.

New Combi going in with new rads around the whole house.

Been told a powerflush is needed by builder or he wont be held responsible!

Q. Should this be done whilst the old system is in? (Just to clean out copper pipes I guess??)
Q. Builder cleaned out system 2 weeks back and got some black sludge out and heating system is running smooth - is there any need in that case?
Q. A friend said he can put some chemical in and let it roll through system to clean it out - is this the same as a powerflush or pointless?

Any ideas would be useful - it seems the money my dad may spend on a powerflush be pointless and could go towards buying a better boiler instead!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

AK

:?:

Sponsored Links
If all new rads are being fitted then its essential that they are treated with a cleanser like X300. But it does not have to be powerflushed unless the old pipework is very dirty indeed.

However the mere fact that you are dealing with a "builder" does sound very dodgey.

Your system should be fitted by a CORGI registered installer who fills in the appropriate forms.

Beware of builders!

Tony

The builder said he was going to lay down some pipework under ground upto where the new boiler is going to be setup.

I am worried as I hope he does fit the gas pipe properly underground (under the kitchen floor). He said he was going to get a corgi engineer to do the final install. Connect pipes.

I hope he knows on copper pipes as well. Something to do with 22mm instead of 16mm - I have no idea!

Dont let anyone touch the boiler or any gas unless you have seen their CORGI photo card.

Tony

Sponsored Links
OKAY - I'LL LET THE BUILDER KNOW HE SHOULDN'T DISCONNECT THE GAS AND REFIT PIPES

I'VE BEEN QUOTED WELL OVER £1000 TO REMOVE OLD BOILER AND INSTALL NEW COMBI

BUILDER IS ASKING FOR HALF THAT...

Can you advise on what paperwork I need to get signed once it's all done???

This is all getting costly now :<

I think he's only going to lay down the pipes in the ground and then get the corgi engineer to connect all the pipes - I hope!!

Is there anything he should put on the pipes once they are under the kitchen floor. Any kind of sealent, or any special kind of cement??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back