old carpet to line a pond hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a pond and have heard that some people use a special fabric layer on the soil, before they put the liner down. Apparently it stops little stones sticking through. I just happen to have a load of oold carpet and the underlay that I have taken out of the house when a wooden flor was layed. I was wondering whether this would be ok. I could put down both the carpet and the underlay for extra cushioning. What I need to know is would the carpet begin to smell once it got damp. The last thing I want to do is have a terrinble smell coming from around the pond once it is all fitted and then the nightmare of having to get it all out.

Sponsored Links
Use your old underlay if you want it will be fine, or put a bed of sand down. You can use the carpet it will be o.k. but i think the underlay or sand is better. ;)

There is a reason people use proper underlay or sand i shall explain.

carpet is free (otherwise you wouldn't be using it)

underlay or sand costs money

the idea is to stop stones puncturing the liner sand does this by simply covering them up, its why you uses a 2 inch layer

proper underlay does it by stopping the stones coming through

carpet or old newspapers (i have seen it done) will rot overtime this then lets the stones through because as it rots it gives less support and the weight of the water pushing down means that any stones will soon puncture the liner.

its your choice but if you want to do it right and not change or repair the liner in years to come use the right protection.

it costs more initally, but lasts a lifetime

breezer, to be fair, i would only expect any pond liner to last a maximum of 20 years. After this i would expect to replace it pretty soon.

And we lined ours with sand. on emptying it 2 years after, all the sand had collapsed, forming bulges near the bottom corners. Couldn't do anything - theres 2 courses of wall on top of the liner.

Sponsored Links
you can get liners that are g'teed for 30 years now, sorry about your sand, but carpets wont even last 2 years, and it may be the sand moved as you lifted the liner

but carpet is just asking for trouble

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back