Old Cottage, problem after wall was reskimmed

Dehumidifiers are often placed in the following areas where excess moisture is most prevalent:

Basements
Crawl Spaces
Kitchens
Bedrooms
Bathrooms
Spas or Indoor Pool Areas
Warehouses
Workshops
In these situations they will pull water out of a camels arse
So joe there is the answer I googled and thats good enough for me
;)

Sponsored Links
Explain why it is wrong joe. As these are the opinions of experts. What is your answer?

It simply allows a place where condensation of airborne water vapour takes place. It does nothing else. Any expert that says it does is no expert.

Sponsored Links
ive been on a few jobs where they have got humidifiers in to make the walls dry out so the painter can get a move on, also ive had to skim with them on its not much fun skimming in front of 2 humidifiers that are sucking the cr@p out of the skim as you put it on "i was told off for turning them off" im with roy humidifiers do suck a lot of water out of the walls.

Well how do they do that then. What's the science?

Well how do they do that then. What's the science?
ok joe im wasn't to sure of the exact science so ive googled and copied and pasted the sentence that best explaines it

"Dehumidifiers are used to decrease the amount of water in the air and thus dry the objects surrounded by the air. "
in other words the dryer the atmosphere the dryer the walls, as the atmosphere dries out so do the walls

Which is exactly what happens when you open the window. There is nothing magic about a dehumidifier.

I have had to chip in here.

We plastered an extension after christmas and the customer was VERY keen to get painting.

He rang me up a week later and said the plaster still hadn't dried out in places. Ho hum i thought the weather is freezing.

When the snow finally cleared we went over to get what was left of our gear. When we got there he had all the windows and doors closed and a dehumidifier going.

All the windows had puddles on the window boards and the concrete screed floor was soaked at the bottom of the doors and some of the skim was still wet.

He moaned that the concrete at the bottom of the doors "had never dried out!" and that he kept all the doors and windows closed to make the dehumidifier work better.

I said turn that poxy machine off and get some air in here NOW. The concrete dried at the bottom of the doors in 1 hour and he was able to paint the lot the next day.

Remember folks all the dehumidifiers in the world are no substitute for all that lovely dry air outside and there is tonnes of the stuff.

inustrial dehumidifiers can extract 30 ltrs of water in 24 hours times that by 2 and you have 60 ltrs of water being extracted in a space of 24 hours opening a window will hardly shift anything like that ilmao

Sounds like the plaster needs to be redone in lime or a similar breathable plaster ,i didn't realise it had been done in bonding ,that is the problem .If you want to sort it cheaper then wickes one coat is quite good and seems to breath well on old walls .Not sure how long it lasts though .

inustrial dehumidifiers can extract 30 ltrs of water in 24 hours times that by 2 and you have 60 ltrs of water being extracted in a space of 24 hours opening a window will hardly shift anything like that ilmao

They don't 'extract' anything. If you think that they do - then tell us how. :confused:

They don't 'extract' anything. If you think that they do - then tell us how. :confused:
ive already told u how a dehumidifier works joe , but here is a more in deph explanation http://www.air-n-water.com/how-dehumidifiers-work.htm
"EDIT" scroll down to how dehumidifiers work

I want to know what scientific law extracts water from walls. Gimme the science. I don't believe in magic.

Fresh air blowing through a room can work many times faster than the best dehumidifiers on the planet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back