Old outside wall want to remoove and put in rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm a gas safe registered gas engineer but have no knowledge of this scale of structural walls.
I'm in a 1950s house and have a single storie extension at the back of our house that is the kitchen! Looking into this was the old outside window.
I have taken the window frame out to renew the worktops in the kitchen and to fit a breakfast bar where the old window was.The other side of the window is a brickwork pillar of 240mm on both walls.the other side of this is the doorway going into the kitchen which I have also taken out.I have now had it suggested to me that I take this pillar out and put in two 3 meter rsj's in order to remoove pillar in order to have more of a kitchen island.the guy that suggested it too me is more knowledgable than me on this subject but that is not particularly hard. Any help would be grate! Trying to get pics up but struggling as computer broken and I'm on ipad!. To me it looks ok to take out interior wall (which does look ready to fall down) but wouldn't want to touch old outside wall which is brick all the way up??

Sponsored Links
Sounds routine.

However, it does still fall under b'regs which in turn means that the beams will probably require calc's which means a structural engineer or a similar qualified bod will have to provide.

The advantage of having an S.E. look means he will answer your questions regards all things structural.

Or you may know an experienced builder that may say pop in a couple of Catnics and B.C. could be just as happy.

Your choice.

Check the brick pillars are built on foundations, and that these are suitable for anchoring the replacement steel columns, everything else is, as previously stated, fairly routine.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you could get in a structural engineer.

They will probably charge you ££££££s, and give you grossly-oversized beams.
The calculations they provide will look impressive and be in a spiral-bound book (it will be all spread-sheet print-outs designed to look impressive to justify the fee, as though the engineer has himself spent hours poring over manuals and tables etc).
The figures themselves will look mind-bogglingly complex, and peppered with funny-looking squigles with prefixes and suffixes, and strange words like 'gyration' and 'inertia' and 'plastic hinges' - I always thought that these were things you find on cheap kitchen cupboards).

On the other hand, you could just put in a couple of 8" x 4" UBs (Universl Beams - not rsjs) on a couple of decent padstones.

(no disprespect intended to the resident engineers on this forum!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back