Old partition - Creation of new Partition for door casing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have an entrance to the kitchen that is about 10ft wide and i want to create a new partition that will be plasterboarded.

There was and original stud wall in place but this had to be removed due to plasterboard being damaged/wet and some woodworm in timbers.

Problem is that there also needs to be a strong door frame to accomodate a heavy door.

What is the best way of tackling this and what timber am i best using as i dont want is to start moving around once the door casing is fitted.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not just frame it as before, making sure that you screw the frame together and fix solidly to the walls, floor and ceiling (assuming you can find a joist). Any plasterboard over the frame will stiffen it up considerably. If you want a bit motre rigidity you could always overclad the studwork with 12mm plywood before plasterboarding, but that's probably overkill for a domestic. The other thing I'd do is to foam the door casing in lightly before adding the architrave (again, assuming that you have a gap)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back