Old Plaster -Wash coat or prime?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks. About to repaint walls in kitchen. While prepping found paint (several coats I guess) peeled off in strips so stripped it all off. I guess the property is 40's or 50's and been painted several times since. AM i best to use a wash coat of matt before painting or should I use primer (Gardz?) before painting?

Sponsored Links
If this is plaster skim apply a mist coat of matt emulsion thinned around 20%.

Dec

Just out of interest is the plaster pink in appearance, and if not does it leave a chalky residue on your hands.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is pink in appearance, but it is chalky/dusty when you rub it. Its not smooth like newly skimmed plaster. I did wonder whether I might need some kind of stabiliser.

Will do Dec. Have to do it tomorrow as not at property now. Pretty sure its gypsum (pink) plaster, but the surface after stripping the paint is quite powdery. When stripping it I could run a scraper right up the wall and it just peeled off, leaving a pink dust on the back of the paint. It may be that it was poorly applied (no mist coat) originally, not sure really. Just don't want to paint it and have it peel again. Thanks for your help, I'll post a couple of piccies over the weekend. :)

It does sound like skim, that pink dust as you call it on the rear of the stripped paint would be quite normal, a good dust down and a wipe over should be all that is needed.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back