old satchwell device?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was just wondering if anybody could shed any light on this device:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?album_id=24166197&photo_id=286719828

It's a Satchwell device with a dial ranging from 10 to 50 degrees F. There appears to be two adjustable stops on the dial face (one lower temp, one higher?). It is mounted semi outdoor, adjacent to the boiler in the old outdoor privy!

I suspect that it is part of the original (and current!) boiler installation (c. 1970). The heating system is open vented.

The timer is more recent, a Randall 103e unit dating from 1995. I've found a pdf for a similar model and it seems that the wiring is in a real hash. I'm considering rewiring the controls and wonder if I should rip this old device out.

My best guesses are:
- An external stat to lockout the heating
- Some wiring is missing and it originally did something like control the flow and return leg temperatures. (when translated to Celsius the range becomes roughly +/-10 degC)

Many thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
I take it the boiler is also in the outside privy. If so, it's probably a frost stat - brings the boiler on if the temperature drops too low.

yes it is. that would account for the temperature range (although 10degF is a bit late for frost protection!)

Sponsored Links
Hi

I was just wondering if anybody could shed any light on this device:

It's a Satchwell device with a dial ranging from 10 to 50 degrees F.

Many thanks

Chris
freezing @ 32degrees F :idea: Boiling @ 212 degrees F:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back