Old system needs new controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to improve my father's old central heating system by fitting a programmable thermostat. Before starting the project I did some research and found advice that it is a straightforward process to connect the stat across the 'boiler on' feed from the controller, set the heating to continuous and let the new stat run the system. Unfortunately doing this means the DHW only function is disabled, there is no immersion heater, so no heating in warm weather means no hot water. If I connect the stat across the pump feed, the boiler is on 24/7 which defeats the whole point of the excercise. Installing an immersion is not an option so I am now stumped. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Is there a wiring solution that I haven't thought of yet? I'm wondering if a cylinder stat might control the boiler, and then the room stat can control the CH valve and pump. Any advice most welcone please.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the boiler, I think a Baxi vintage early 1980s, back boiler with gas fire front. Controller is Sunvic 207XLS, boiler is on terminal 4, CH pump and valve on 3, nothing on 1 or 2. I want to fit a Salus RTF500.

Do you know if it is gravity hot water?

Or is there a three port motor valve?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry, been out of reach for a long weekend. Yes, it's gravity hot water and no there is not a 3 port valve, just a single port that prevents convective/gravity feed to the radiators. No I cannot run CH without hot water, in fact since there are no 28mm connections on the cylinder that might indicate a calorifier I think it might be a direct system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back