Old T12 tube strip light holders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a quick look on various websites and can't seem to find any that matches the shape or style of tube holder/tombstones.

Do they still make these style of holders or are they obsolete? Recently bought new LED tubes to fit in the garage due to intermittent flouresent tube. Turns out it's not the tube but the connection to the tubes!

Not had them apart yet but I'm assuming (obviously with the power OFF) that if i were to flick the plate out of the holder that i could squeeze the connection together to tighten it to the new pins? (Like when spade connectors open out slightly and become slack)

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20170427_210123.jpg
    IMG_20170427_210123.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 281
Sponsored Links
My Dad was known to use bits of choc-block on the pins of tubes - one of the sizes has just the right spacing. Looks gash, though.

The only way you will get one nowadays, is to find one being binned or in a skip specially were an old shop is being refurbed, that looks like an old Thorn or a Fitzgerald fitting,
Not all the ends are the same profile and not possible to get one to fit all fittings, without adapting, however the T12 pin distance is the same so an end of a T8 fitting would do the job with a bit of re profiling sometimes also round the bit where the lamp goes, though your Led tube is likely T8 diameter.
Another option is to use the button type lamp holders and fit two Terry clips to the casing to hold the lamp.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clip-T8-T...5-Terry-Clips-End-Cap-4x-or-10x-/261501595315

Both not ideal, probably better to return the led tube and get a led fitting.

Ps, inside i recall its just a bit of springy metal that just pushes against 1 side of the pin, you can sometimes clean it up a bit and it may get by for a while, though I have seen them get so hot they melt the endcap

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Cheers.

I've not had time to look at these and I hadn't got a notification anyone had replied, so thanks.

I'll try reviving them and as a last resort I may go the button cap and Terry clip route but I know what you mean. I'd hate to use them on normal fluorescent tubes as they would get red hot!

Sponsored Links
Update: After finally getting round to stripping it down, found the 2 plastic pins at the bottom broken. So in effect, the pins where forcing the brass connectors apart as there was no resistance to stop it at the other side. Hence why it was intermittent!
That's actually played into my hands buying LED strip tubes as I've just swapped the broken side to the holding only side, not the live side.
I've kept the original ballast and wiring there in case but it's now been disconnected completely to give the best energy efficiency.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for ones that look similar for spares although I can't see me needing them for a while.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_105538.jpg
    IMG_20170513_105538.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 261

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back