Old Trianco 36.6kW Oil Boiler - to upgrade or not to upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

We have a 15 year old Trianco Eurostar 125 Utility (36.6kW) Oil Boiler which has served us well until now - there have been intermittent issues with it; but otherwise ok.

Since re-insulating the house 12 months ago we have found that the boiler is now a tad overkill - and with its age we are looking at something more efficient to keep the running costs down.

What are your thoughts on a Grant Vortex Utility 26-35 Condensing Boiler? Is there something better that I should be looking at?

The goal is to have a reliable system with reduced running costs that can be plumbed into the current system with minimal changes.

Thanks

Dick

Sponsored Links
IMO a Grant Vortex is the best oil boiler out there...others may disagree but every Grant I look after has not missed a beat. You can get a 5 year warranty if you choose the right installer.

Check the SAP database for the comparitive boiler efficiency (used to be boilers.org.UK). You may find that your boiler is already quite efficient and if the shell is intact then you will gain little by replacing the boiler.

If you do decide to replace in my opinion the new Worcester boilers are better than a Grant as they are second generation condensing boilers. They are very easy to service.

IMO a Grant Vortex is the best oil boiler out there...others may disagree but every Grant I look after has not missed a beat. You can get a 5 year warranty if you choose the right installer.

+1 Installed loads no probs.

Sponsored Links
Check the SAP database for the comparitive boiler efficiency (used to be boilers.org.UK). You may find that your boiler is already quite efficient and if the shell is intact then you will gain little by replacing the boiler.

If you do decide to replace in my opinion the new Worcester boilers are better than a Grant as they are second generation condensing boilers. They are very easy to service.

Which elements of the new Worcester range do you think are better than a Vortex Pro?

Unfortunately Worcester had a marketing disaster with the Greenstar Cam condensing range and I think they lost the confidence of installers.

You're not going to save any cash for about 20+years if you change. It'd be a pointless exercise overall. Add the price of a boiler+install costs if you're not doing it yourself, against a maybe 5% reduction in annual fuel savings.

Eurostar is quite modern and properly maintained will deliver at least equivalent of band C efficiencies (over 85%). No-one needs to replace a functioning oil boiler just for change's sake.

As long as the boiler body is sound, and it has been se to run properly so that the baffles are not damaged, then I personally would not recommend a change. If the burner is tired, that can easily be replaced.
As already said, the Grant is probably the best available. It is at least made of steel and does not have lots of plastic. It is easy to service, and reliable. Worcesters are cheaply made, and despite modifications are still not the most straightforward to service.

i would re do your heat calculation for your requirements. You will probably find that you need far less power than you think.

Oversized boilers especially oil create wasted cycling.

As others have said if the main exchanger is ok then best option is to reduce power output of existing unit to desired rate or get a new burner installed and do the same.

I have changed quite a few old burners around 15 to 20 years old with a new reillo burner. Customers always comment how much quieter the new burner is and how they have used less oil ( whether they have or not who knows)

Unless the heat exchanger leaks it is always the burner that will let you down.

As new burners are only £250 ish the cost is not that bad.

Which elements of the new Worcester range do you think are better than a Vortex Pro?

Unfortunately Worcester had a marketing disaster with the Greenstar Cam condensing range and I think they lost the confidence of installers.

New Worcesters are easy to install with connections at top back of boiler and bracket for oil line and are lightweight too. But the best thing is the servicing. The primary has a one piece baffle and the secondary baffles are mesh which are easy to remove and replace unlike the spirals on the Grants. Plus you've got access to Worcester's first class service team if there are any problems.

Agree servicing a Camray was a nightmare but the new Danesmoor is in a league of its own as far as I'm concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back