Old Velux windows, can I refurb myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I bought a house 5 years ago and the 3 velux windows were quite shabby. Now they are really horrid with mould inside between the glass. I just cannot afford to replace. Is there anyway I can open them up to clean the inside and put back together? Also the wood looks like it is going black/green, can this be removed easily and re varnished?
Thanks Lizzy

Sponsored Links
Velux windows contain double glazing units and it sounds as though your units have failed. The only solution is to replace the DG units - repairing tham in the way you propose is a complete waste of time because DG units are normally assembled with a partial vacuum inside (I believe). Any decent glazier should be able to supply units made to the size you specify. The DG units are held in place from the underside with pinned glazing beads (simple rectangular or trapezoid section in my experience, but they will need something like a bead of glazing silicone around the outside of the glass to weatherproof them)

The tilting section of Veluxes are easily removed (takes 2 minutes, no tools required) and both the frames and casements (the bit holding the glass) can be scraped and sanded before refinishing (stained and lacquered - exterior grade). If there are any iron stains bleach them out with oxallic acid (bought as crystals from a pro decorator shop and diluted) first and neutralise though. I've done this a number of times for customers and I'd say that so long as you don't want a blond wood effect it is a simple enough task

Some spares, such as blinds, etc are available from Velux themselves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back