Old wallpaper - How do I stick down small areas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gcol - less attitude OK!
If something doesn't sound right, its my right to ask and its not for you to tell me what I should accept.

If it stands up to scrutiny, then you shouldn't be bothered by questions.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind you were the one asking for help, i do think if you read back your replies it does sound a bit off (not saying it was meant that way)

dave220 said:
If something doesn't sound right, its my right to ask and its not for you to tell me what I should accept.[/b]
Certainly it is, but when someone goes out of their way to help you, it's rude to call their suggestions "barmy".
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that caulk was the only (or preferred) method of sticking down the odd bit of wallpaper, just that it would work. That should be all you're interested in. By all means, take on board other ideas like seam adhesive.
However, the fact that you don't even know what caulk is suggests to me that you DO need telling what you should accept.
Regards....

gcol said:
dave220 said:
If something doesn't sound right, its my right to ask and its not for you to tell me what I should accept.[/b]
Certainly it is, but when someone goes out of their way to help you, it's rude to call their suggestions "barmy".
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that caulk was the only (or preferred) method of sticking down the odd bit of wallpaper, just that it would work. That should be all you're interested in. By all means, take on board other ideas like seam adhesive.
However, the fact that you don't even know what caulk is suggests to me that you DO need telling what you should accept.
Regards....

Yep..I agree there ...Ok , hands up, my 'Say no more' comment might have compounded the issue but caulk is ok for the odd seam or springing corner..about half an inche's worth, any more than that and paste would be needed (or a brush full of emulsion if its a painted paper :rolleyes: )

I dont think Gcol deliberatly mentioned caulk to confuse or mislead...it can be an option...to the unaware, after it was called filler, it might have looked like a 'barmy' option...but we do know what we are talking about on here.

Sponsored Links
Gcol appears to defend his "attitude problem" which is an immature and bully-boy attitude that we are all familiar with from old school days.

Gcol could have chosen to tell me WHY caulk is an option, rather than dishing out the "just accept it" attitiude. He can't just issue directives, like some pompous ranting tyrant, and that's that - we are no longer living in such times, lest he has forgotten.

Education, which I suggest is something lacking in Gcol's history, must be done in a involved way, which one person can properly learn from another, otherwise, we are just learning something parrot fashion and that will produce a whole bunch of moronic, incompetent drones.

Learn ye from this experience if ye have any brains.

I would also use a thin bead of caulk, then press it down and sponge off.

Good advice gcol.

dave220 said:
Gcol appears to defend his "attitude problem" which is an immature and bully-boy attitude that we are all familiar with from old school days.

Gcol could have chosen to tell me WHY caulk is an option, rather than dishing out the "just accept it" attitiude. He can't just issue directives, like some pompous ranting tyrant, and that's that - we are no longer living in such times, lest he has forgotten.

Education, which I suggest is something lacking in Gcol's history, must be done in a involved way, which one person can properly learn from another, otherwise, we are just learning something parrot fashion and that will produce a whole bunch of moronic, incompetent drones.

Learn ye from this experience if ye have any brains.
Dave if you joined this forum based on a need for arguing then I pity you. I'm moving on now so as not to continue this inane conversation. I feel no need to "prove" my education to you (save for the HNC, the HND and the degree). I wish you well with the troublesome task of sticking a bit of lifted wallpaper back down and hope you bear no ill feelings.

gcol said:
I'm prepared for abuse for saying this but........ caulk.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: could have been worse gcol and sorry if me using the term flexible fiiller caused problems.
dave220 as you can see the reply gcol gave does indeed work and is something I think we have all done in the past. You asked for advice and a selection of professionals gave you replies. We do not all take the time to explain our answers as it just take to long. You pay your money and take your choice. The answers some gave back to gcol were a bit tongue in cheek and were not done with any malice just in trade banter. You asked for help and got it. The end. No slating of those that are taking the time out to help you. Just be thankfull no-one mentioned Gripfill :eek:

I wish people would stop defending bullies, that gcol is.
Grow up you lot! :mad:

Dave, I think its about time you just chilled out man. :cool:

We dont want to waste our valuable time argueing with you. You asked for advice and you got it. If you take the time to look back on some of the replys given on this site you will see that there is quite a bit of bantering between us. No offence intended.

A lot of people give up their own valuable time to give free advice on this site. Much of that advice is learned from experaince by working in the trades, and much of that advice would normally cost people money. Many of those who give up their time to help, could quite easily be using their valuable time elsewhere. gcol gave an answer which whilst frowned upon by some (Zampa!) is one that sometimes gets used. Your answer to his reply was short and curt. Just because its an answer you didnt like or understand doesnt mean you have to start throwing teddies from the pram.

Cheek!.........I only put the http://www.abusegarethgcol.co.uk/ thing up cos Gcol was, in fun, setting himself up a bit..

And I Maybe Dave miscontrued my 'say no more' comment to and took it too seriously...something I also amended

Dave,....Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll aht..... :LOL:

I have no issues with Zampa, although he's Welsh (or if not Welsh he at least lives in Wales) I consider him a mate. I know he's a wind up merchant...... Hell I'm one too! I wouldn't change him for a gold clock.
I occassionally rub new acquaintances up the wrong way until they get to know me and then they usually realise that I'm not all bad.
There's some really good people on here and I consider it a privilege to be part of the gang.
Cheers people.

gcol said:
It will. If you ask for advice and you get it, you should take it on board and not question it.

If that isn't stroppy and bully-ish like, I'd like to know what is.

I was responding to what was being dished out and I didn't like what I heard.
If there is supposed to be help being given in these forums, then the help shouldn't come laden with such unacceptable tones and attitudes.

There'll be no more from me as it is more than clear that the bully-boy attitudes exhibited are being supported (and defended) in this forum at the cost of common decency and respectful behaviour.

You get what you give.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back