Old waste pipe in my kitchen now out of use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have discovered behind my cupboards in the kitchen a defunct old waste pipe that has crumbling cement around it and it smells very bad how do I remove it and then cap off the hole it will leave. I am a reasonably competent female and would like to do the job myself with the aid of my dad of course. Any help would be so appreciated. Liz

Sponsored Links
is it plastic, lead or iron? You can cap it off, this is particularly easy if plastic.

Have a look on the other side of the wall to see where it goes. If an old house, it probably goes either into a gully (ground floor) or hopper (upper floors) or else into the side of a soil pipe. If it goes through the floor :( is it a wooden, chipboard or concrete floor, and do you live in a house or a flat?

If a modern house it probably goes into the side of a soil pipe, which might be boxed over inside your house.

btw you should be learning plumbing so you can maintain your old dad's house for him now he's getting on a bit.

Shove some cotton wool in the hole, cover it with a cut down carrier bag, put a shed load of cellotape around it & leave it @ that :D

Not a pretty fix ........ Buttttttt it'll work :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back