Old wooden window frames and shutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Can anyone help me?
I have just bought a traditional edinburgh flat with single glazed windows with wooded shutters and frames. I would like to re-paint them white but they have been painted over so many time I don't want to put yet another lay of paint on them. Can anyone suggest how I get rid of the old layers of paint and what I would need to do after - prime then paint??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you can remove the shutters then you can get them dipped by professional paint strippers, which will give you a better finish than scraping the paint from them.

If you do go with the heat gun approach ( you may have not choice on the window frames themselves) then be careful when heating as you can easily scorch the wood underneath.

Slowly and carefully will give you the better results and fewer splinters!

A quick light sand afterwards and they will be ready to be painted again.

This particular thread also gave me the answer and now I know what to do with the shutters that I thought to repaint. Let me confess I was unaware once upon a time that the window shutters can make such a contributing effect on the beauty of the house, powered with the ideas of discussion places like these my house has always managed to look different in the recent times. :)

Sponsored Links
Heat gun is probably the best way to go using a new shavehook which will have nice sharp edges to use. No material cost but very labour intensive.
Then prime, rub down and undercoat, and undercoat, and gloss, gently sanded between coats. Look cool !! If going against the glass i use a broad bladed scraper as a heat shield to protect the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back