Painting already painted old wooden windows, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have almost 50 years old wooden windows in great condition, and wish to repaint and restore them.

Unfortunately they are already painted (white color) too many times, at least 3 probably more. The paint is "stuck" on the wood and shows no signs of peeling, bubbles or cracks.

-Should I only softly sand the existing paint, and directly apply 2 new finishing layers of the same oil based paint?
-OR, softly sand the existing paint (without removing it), apply 1 layer of primary paint over the existing paint, and then apply 2 layers of the finishing paint?

I heard that applying primer paint over existing paint should provide even better base for the finishing paint to stick to, but it seems unreasonable since the old paint is oil based and I will use the same type. I just want to do this right:)

Other details: I used a chemical paint remover on the frame, and it only removed 1 layer of paint.

Thank you in avance

Sponsored Links
in england i would rubdown spot prime fill one undercoat one gloss (top) primer is only good for bare wood or powdery surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back