Old Wylex fuses - Help!! Update ***Sorted :)***

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I think I've fried one of the fuses in my old Wylex fuse box. Was having some trouble fitting a light and I guess I blew it 1 too many times!

Done a seach on the internet and every one I seem to find looks nothing like the one I'm trying to replace.

The writing on the side of the fuse is:

BS 3871 PT:1 240v
REF. CAL. TEMP. 20C
TYPE B
5A M1 15A-45A M2

It has a round button that when pushed in is flush with the front casing rather than a switch, along with a much smaller button which when press trips the fuse.

Will a normal TYPE B with a switch replace this?

Also, where would I be able to get one over the weekend? I've got not lights!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You've probably missed B&Q for today, but any of the sheds will have them

Or an electrical wholesaler.

A 6A type B will be fine as a replacement.

These are on fleabay

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
fit the newer type with the up down action,then gain another 1ka.
could be useful on an instal as old as one backed up by those breakers ;)

Managed to get hold of the newer up/down switch type and it fitted fine. However still no joy, no power going to any of the lights.

Is it possible I might have damaged the main unit from tripping the fuse too many times? :?:

More likely you have blown a joint apart.

Finding this may be a bit tricky.

Do ay of the lights on this circuit at all still work?

No none, it's only a 1 bedroom flat so we're talking about 6 lights.

Yeah, figured that one out! :D

I can see this being a bit of a pain. How would I find a blown joint? I have no access to any of the wiring above my ceiling as I am in a converted attick flat.

Start at the light you was working on , if it is the first light on the circuit, your fault may be there.

Have a close look at the springy brass thingys that the fuse plugs into Power off of course, check for any arcing splashes, I was caught out by the smallest bob on a fuse folder once. After cleaning with a file it worked fine, dont forget power off at the main switch first

I'll explain what I was trying to do....

I've replaced some old spot lights with new ones. The wires coming out of the ceiling are black, red and an earth. Each spot light has 3 lights and I copied the wiring on the first 2 and they worked fine.

The light that has been giving me the problem (and it's exactly the same unit as the other 2 I've replaced) didn't have any of the red wires connected at all. Only the blacks. The reds were capped off and kept out of the way. I decided to connect them to the new unit as I had done with the others. What kept tripping the fuse was when any of the black wires touched one another (I'm sure on the other 2 I fitted all the blacks went into 1 hole?) so in the end I decided to use just 1 black and 1 red.

Why would the red wires have been capped off? :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back