Older plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of stripping the lining paper off the ceiling of our hall.

The house is a 1920's house with lath and plaster ceilings, but this ceiling appears to have been over boarded with something, i'm guessing in the 70's or the 80's.

There are a few significant cracks that i suspect will reoccur when skimmed due to their location so i'm considering ripping the whole lot down and then plaster boarding as its not too large an area so limited mess.

However, was any form of asbestos board used as plasterboard in the sort of time frame i'm referring to? If there was i will probably just take the risk the cracks reoccuring when its skimmed and leave well alone.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I don't know whether there was or not,,,, although i wouldn't have thought so. What do you mean by "significant cracks that will re-occur". Do you mean where the plasterboard joints are? (straight cracks)? Can you not put more screws into the boards/joists, and then re-tape (double) over them,, and then skim. Just make sure that the old lath and plaster ceiling that was overboarded years ago, is not falling down, (coming away), putting pressure onto the plasterboard.

Thanks for your response.

I might be being overly worried, but the cracks in question are not where the plasterboard joins are. That being said it is difficult to see where the joins are as the whole area has been skimmed over.

The ceiling is 'L' shaped and there is a large crack from the centre point of the 'L' across the ceiling in a diagonal. Why its there i have no idea but i get the impression that there has been a bit of movement there as the board has already cracked.

It looks stable now, but bearing in mind it has already cracked, i have this gut feel it will crack again.

The best option would be to bring he ceiling down, board with modern plaster board and then skim, but i don't want to pull the ceiling down if it is asbestos.

I didn’t think there was any asbestos in PB but a quick look around would seem to suggest it was used in varying amounts in most building materials, including Artex, until it was banned in the 90’s so it may be present in the old lath & plaster work.

Have a look here;
http://www.osp.state.nc.us/emprsk/asbestos/topic2.html
I’ve reproduced this bit;
“On the other hand, plasterboard is not P(resumed) A(sbestos) C(ontained) M(aterial). Plasterboard is a board used in large sheets as a backing or as a substitute for plaster in walls and consists of several plies of paper, fiberboard, or felt, usually bonded to a hardened gypsum plaster core. It's also called gypsum board, drywall, wallboard, and sheetrock. While the plasterboard itself seldom contains asbestos, there is usually asbestos in the joint compound, spackling compound, and tape used to produce a smooth surface. These materials are not PACM, either.”

I suspect it’s mostly low grade which doesn’t need a license & is not a significant risk if sensibly removed but you may need to check further & you can no longer dispose of PB at the local tip, you have to go to a local disposal centre (they charge you).

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard.

I've decided on a compromise. I'm going to cut back the old plasterboard by about a foot either side of the crack and put new plasterboard up in the gap prior to skimming. Them with the joints properly taped i can be sure that the cracks won't come back.

Incidentally, my local tip will still happily accept plasterboard in a special plasterboard skip :)

The strip should should either run across the joists or take it back so it's fully supported down the centre line of two adjacent joists; if it's not, you must provide additional support or it will crack a again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back