olive repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Ive removed my radiator, and the nuts were really tight and although i did use two wrenches to try not to damage the olive, it seems like i have anyway.
the whole thermostat valve now spins on the copper pipe, when i turned the heating on there is a fast-ish leak from the radiator connecting end of the valve and a very slow one on the copper pipe under the connection, the boiler has no water in it now I assume this is connected as when i turned the heating off i could hear the pipe sucking air in.
Can i repair it or is it time to admit defeat?

Sponsored Links
if the olive is dammaged or as I suspect, may have been damaged by overtightening (very tight nuts): try carefully cutting through the olive with a junior hacksaw. Then lift/prize off with a sharp slotted screwdriver. Take care not to nick the tube.
Reassemble with a new olive. PTFE around the olive (belt n braces) just in case. Tighten nut till you feel reasonable resistance and add a quarter turn. Better to slighlty undertighten initially. If still weeping, slowly and gradually tighten till leak stops.

ok so the radiator is back on and the big leak sorted, now the pipe onto the manual control valve is leaking from the copper pipe, ive put lots of plumbers tape on but its still dripping slowly.
i havent turned the big bolt that connects it to the valve.
More plumbers tape?
Will silicone work?
thanks

Sponsored Links
What you should do is repeat what LOAFER had posted earlier, but you shouldn't need PTFE the Olive will be enough

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back