On a Lighter Note - There are Two literal meanings of "Full-Din-rail" here!!

K

kai

Bargain at Thirty four pounds from Wickes - Bought it just case!
Full Din Rail - as it states on the packaging.
Full Din rail as it being fully populated with MCB's RCD's and the mainswitch.
Full Din rail as meaning a proper full steel din-rail, not the half rails of older Wylex models.
A bit of clever word play here!:D:D:D

Sponsored Links
Full Din Rail - as it states on the packaging.
Full Din rail as it being fully populated with MCB's RCD's and the mainswitch.
Full Din rail as meaning a proper full steel din-rail, not the half rails of older Wylex models.
A bit of clever word play here!:D:D:D
If the box is to be believed (and knowing Wylex DIN rails), is is surely both, so not really any 'word play'?

It may be called 'high integrity" but, with the 10 MCBs (all RCD-prtoected) apparently fitted, there is no room left for anything else (unless one takes one hacksaw to a bus bar).

Kind Regards, John

The busbar is supplied in a bag, and can be cut to length to suit the intended number of ways in each section. One breaker can be unlatched from the din-rail, and the others slid along to the left, in order to make room for the high integrity way, comprising of the breaker that you just took out of the RCD section. (Provided the circuit in question does not need an RCD at this end, i.e. a garage feed), where there is a RCD sub board inside the garage already. It has Three Neutral Bars, one for any High Integrity ways as needed.

Sponsored Links
The busbar is supplied in a bag, and can be cut to length to suit the intended number of ways in each section ....
Yes, I realise that. The more pedantic amongst us might argue that once a user has taken a hacksaw to one of the components, the product ceases to be 'type tested', and therefore would not qualify as a 'CU'!!

Kind Regards, John

Its a full din rail as it's flexible bus bars.

Maybe high integrity means 3 neutral bars. Do tell me.

The busbar is supplied in a bag, and can be cut to length to suit the intended number of ways in each section ....
Yes, I realise that. The more pedantic amongst us might argue that once a user has taken a hacksaw to one of the components, the product ceases to be 'type tested', and therefore would not qualify as a 'CU'!!

Kind Regards, John
My god that is really stretching the limits of pedantry! What about those busbars that come pre-scored ready to snap off? I don't remember if the Wylex busbars do or not. Hated their plastic boards, they were often a pig to get the lid on

Maybe high integrity means 3 neutral bars. Do tell me.
I can but presume that's what (all that) it means. After all, with any standard 'dual RCD' board one can chop one or both of the bus bars and slide things along to make room for one or more non-RCD-protected way(s) - the only 'problem' one is left with is the absence of a third neutral bar - but it shouldn't take all that much ingenuity to get over that (and, again probably loose the 'type tested' status :) ).

Kind Regards, John

The more pedantic amongst us might argue that once a user has taken a hacksaw to one of the components, the product ceases to be 'type tested', and therefore would not qualify as a 'CU'!! ...
My god that is really stretching the limits of pedantry!
Indeed it is, but we have some very accomplished pedantry-stretchers around here (as in the rest of the world :) )

Kind Regards, John

Yes, that's what it means but it isn't really anything to do with integrity, is it?

I do not see why altering the bus-bar and/or neutral bars alters anything with regard to type testing.
We do that all the time.

Even MK Boards have a user cuttable busbar by design , so that the MK board can be configured by sliding along the breakers and rcd's until you get the setup required.

Even more versatile - did you know that Wylex devices fit MK boards perfectly? The Locking cover feature was really handy, there was still a way to turn off, because there was a BS88 switch fuse in the tails feeding that consumer unit! The BS88 switch fuse kept the PSCC under control, and the PSCC at the MK board was only 4ka as measured. within the M6 breakers.

Even more versatile - did you know that Wylex devices fit MK boards perfectly?
'They' wouyld certainly say that it ceased to be 'type tested' (hence ceased to be a BS7671-compliant 'CU' for domestic use) if you did that!
The Locking cover feature was really handy, there was still a way to turn off, because there was a BS88 switch fuse in the tails feeding that consumer unit!
Maybe that was true of a particular installation you had in mind, but if such a CU (and padlock) were used in an installation without an upstream switch-fuse or other isolator it would then (when padlocked) be potentially diabolically dangerous (and non-compliant), wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Even more versatile - did you know that Wylex devices fit MK boards perfectly?
'They' wouyld certainly say that it ceased to be 'type tested' (hence ceased to be a BS7671-compliant 'CU' for domestic use) if you did that!
I certainly would!
The Locking cover feature was really handy, there was still a way to turn off, because there was a BS88 switch fuse in the tails feeding that consumer unit!
Maybe that was true of a particular installation you had in mind, but if such a CU (and padlock) were used in an installation without an upstream switch-fuse or other isolator it would then (when padlocked) be potentially diabolically dangerous (and non-compliant), wouldn't it?
I agree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back