On the verge of tears now, help with stud detection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I have bought a Stanley stud detector and spent a little extra to make sure I have something decent. It is only for one job as I wont need it again.

Likewise I purchased this
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1212423959453&isSearch=true

Now I put the ceiling up myself so I know roughly where all the timbers are but need to mark out proper to be on the safe side.

Now the problem is that the timbers on the edges are ok i.e. i can pick them up fine using the tool however I have a double timber in the center acting as a spine which is no more than 6.5 inches wide however the tool is giving me a length of 10 inches +

I have returned the tool back to where i got it from and had a replacement but exactly same problem.

Also I have noggings which I cant detect properly and am now on the verge of tears

Please help me guys as i need to sort this out asap

cheers

p.s. any alternative tools please advise

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find that this tool is able to detect metal
(such as the fixings in the joists) rather than the timber.
You can't expect it to give you a precise location, only
expect it to tell you approximately where things are.

If you fixed the joists at exact centres, you should be OK
once you located one or two.

You could also try making a small hole adjacent to the
joist position, and waggling a stiff piece of wire through
the hole to find the edge of the joist.

Do you have easy access from above to see where the
joists and noggins are?

xerxes thanks for the reply matey.

I actually bought the tool because it emphasised its detection of timber studs as well as metal and live wires.

The tool gives me half decent results at the end of the walls but is usless for the noggings

The main reason i needed this tool is that there is no access to look over the ceiling as it is a top floor and totally locked off now. I am in a right dilema here

Also when i mean its useless in the centre, it doesnt even give me a rough idea of the timber studs or noggings. It says its detecting something in areas which i am 100% certain have nothing there, I have to add a little force on the tool for it to realise it doesnt know what its talking about

I really expected better from a Stanley branded tool

I use my knuckles to tap and a thin blade screwdriver. Works for me.

Sponsored Links
Simple 2 minute patch up. I use a tiny thin screwdriver.

use the knocking method while humming a song like, knocking on heavens door! The customers pay more for entertainment value!

Or Tony Orlando and Dawn "Knock three times on the ceiling"

What a classic ,you sometimes forget how good these songs are until you hear the crap nowadays on that note ,good old lional ritche dancing on the ceiling!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back