One coat drying in bucket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why oh why is the 800 grams or so of one coat going off in the bucket before I can use it. I am doing a few fills and cracks that I have taken back to the block but by the time I get round to the second or third scoop of plaster on the trowel is getting hard or is hard!

Im no plasterer but am mixing about 500ml of water with 800g of plaster and it is creamy like.

Sponsored Links
Not used the stuff myself.
Personally prefer the mainstream plasters.

That said, are there any dilution instructions on the back?
Sounds like your mixture is too thick so going off too fast.

Sounds like it's gone off to me. Either old stock or stored somewhere damp. You can only safely keep stuff like this for a few weeks.

Sponsored Links
It says 7.5 l water for the 12.5 kg bag so just divided it up!

Sounds like it's gone off to me. Either old stock or stored somewhere damp. You can only safely keep stuff like this for a few weeks.

Magic. bought from B and Q so dont know how long on shelf!

Will the stuff I put up be OK or will it be affected by it being off.

Ok, so if you followed the right ratios, then probably not that.

Plasters (e.g. multi finish, bonding) usually have dates printed on them (use by? best before?).
Might be worth checking if you can find one on the bag you bought.
Though even if in date, if it has been kept poorly and has got damp (as cmother1 suggests) then it will behave like this.

Given it's B&Q, they're quite good at changing things, could always try.

I suspect what you have managed to get up on the wall will be fine.

The other thing you may be able to try is once the plaster is mixed, pour it out onto a Spot Board (e.g. a piece of old plywood for example wetted down before you pour the plaster on it).
This will prob give you a bit more time to work with it.

If one coat is going off as soon as you mix it then it is very old stock or has been stored in a damp place. Onecoat is gaurenteed not to crack, the reason being is that it has a long shelf life and takes a while to fully cure on the wall. So if you have just bought it or have had it stored for a long while (I have used one coat when we bought it by the pallet ,only because that was the only way they would supply it to us,) and we have had it dry stored for over six months and still been ok. This was a long time ago and one-coat never caught on in England because it was never fully explained to spreads on how to use it, as I have posted before I used it when I worked in Guernsey and it was basically a renovating plaster , but was used in Germany and was pumped on walls and ceilings and spreads followed behind. And also used on concrete ceilings because of its insulation and thermal value. I know this lot of information goes off track of your thread but it may help people understand the properties it has... ;)

Roy, i'm intrigued by one coat, do tell more, application etc, i have absolutely NO idea on this stuff and wouldn't mind knowing when i should be considering it, the type of finish you get, am i correct in thinking you need a sponge float? have many more questions, matbe another thread would be more appropriate rather than hijackig this one? ;)

Hi TM I have explained this to Richard C on one of the other "one coat " threads. Have a look back and see if you can find it..If not will oblidge with info ;)

I used it when I worked in Guernsey and it was basically a renovating plaster

used it on commercial buildings nightclubs etc, never really made an impact on the domestic market up here though, cant remember the last time i used it.

About sums up what I have said then .
Eh alastairreid ? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back