One cold radiator driving me mad!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a 3 storey town house and on the lower floor we have a small radiator in the hallway which is stone cold. We have tried the following: taken radiator off and flushed through (quite a lot of black water came out) ....nothing, took radiator off turned valves on ran water into bucket until hot water came out (strangely left valve water came through quite fast, I thought this was the return valve? Right valve trickled out even when fully open, thought this was the inlet valve? I'm no expert!) put back on, refilled radiator from left side.....radiator went hot then cold rapidly and stayed cold despite heating being on. Then tried to balance all radiators in house......still nothing. Would this rad be the last on the system? The valve that the water dribbled in is new as the old one was leaking. The house is only 12 years old and has the plastic pipes that go into the walls. What else can I do? Help!!

Sponsored Links
If the valve is only dribbling it won't flow around the rad properly. So either change the valve, or you'll have to find out whats restricting it (probably muck in the manifold/tee). You could add some system cleaner, turn off the hot rads and see if this works. If you turn all the other rads off does this one get hot ?

Tried turning all rads off except the cold one it still didn't get hot, the valve gets hot but doesn't get in to the radiator!!

Sponsored Links
Valve was replaced about 4 weeks ago......could the pipework into valve be blocked?

The Scottish Gas guy who fixed our similar problem blasted air backwards up the "dribble" pipe, while the system had water in it. He used one of those pressure sprayers that you would use on weeds - the ones you pump up the pressure then spray. Obviously the spray nozzle was changed to a piece of pipe and a jubilee clip. Ours is a vented system with header tank in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back