One for the Corgi guys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm studying for my ccn1 and need help with a question. Theres no-one else I can ask at the moment and its driving me mad.

What is the likely fault if a cooker oven burner extinguished after approx 15 minutes?
a/ faulty FSD
b/ blocked oven injectors
c/ blocked oven thermostat by pass
d/ undergassing causing incomplete combustion

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Really you need to work that one out for yourself. One of us telling you isn't going to help you understand the principles, which is what you need to do.

Think about the way each mechanism described actually works. For example what would happen if the FFD were faulty? Or the oven injectors blocked? etc.

One of the faults described would give the outcome described, i.e. oven goes out after 15 minutes. So what is likely to be happening with oven temperatures after 15 minutes?

Good point, well made.
I think its down to a blocked thermostat by pass but wanted confirmation.

I could explain TWO of those giving the same effect!

This is one you have not thought of Chris !

The oven heats up and after 15 minutes the flame is turned down by the thermostat to the correct minimum flame. The minimum flame although correct is unable to sustain the thermocouple and it shuts off the gas supply!

Thats the problem with those questions, there are two answers of which both can be correct. The problem is to decide which is more correct!

Tony

Sponsored Links
As failure of either the TBP or the FFD would cause the oven burner to extinguish after 15 minutes, the key word is likely ;)

To be conclusively the TBP, the question should be (or your thought process should be) ...

"What is the likely fault if a cooker oven burner extinguished after approx 15 minutes but re-light's okay?"

MW

Well done mike123. The trick is not to think too hard about the question. If one answer seems too obvious it's probably the right one.

To the other experts, it's pretty clear that the blocked t/stat by-pass is the answer they're after. There is often more than one possible answer to these multiple choice questions so you have to use a bit of nous to see which one they're getting at. They're looking for a good grasp of the basics, not an arcane knowledge of all sorts of obscure possibilities.

megawatt said:
As failure of either the TBP or the FFD would cause the oven burner to extinguish after 15 minutes, the key word is likely ;)

Not trying to pick but how would a failed ffd let the burner light for 15 mins before extinguishing?.

Blocked oven thermostat byepass.

This has to be tested for when commissioning an oven. Get it up to temperature and then turn down control knob, flam should sit down but not extinguish, if it extinguishes it's failed is category ID.

This is why you can't do landlord checks economically, to test properly takes time.

to check flame failure device you turn off oven until flame extinguished, and then keep trying it to see if full gas flow gets through, within the time given in corgi manual gas must stop coming through. Listening for the click after you have turned off isn't really correct, you should actually prove the gas doesn't come through fully after the click..

I don't see the problem giving the guy the answer.

The bypass is a little hole which gets blocked, a blocked one could be fatal, it is ID and needs to be understood by anyone qualified to say if applaince is safe or not.

Most gas leaks are around ovens and hobs.

My advise to OP is don't have anything to do with kitchens whatsoever, that's where you find too many cowboys. Best to stay clear of them altogether.

From a business point ov fiew kitchen fitters and their customers are bad for business. They think your job is easy, they will want you up and down to that job more often than Janice Battersbies knickers.

You want to price yourself out of that market.

Tony said:
The oven heats up and after 15 minutes the flame is turned down by the thermostat to the correct minimum flame. The minimum flame although correct is unable to sustain the thermocouple and it shuts off the gas supply!

Nope! The main burners aren't what would keep a thermocouple hot on an oven.

ChrisR said:
Tony said:

It does on some commercial ranges, thinking of the Falcon Dominator as one ;)

Paul Barker said:
Blocked oven thermostat byepass.

This has to be tested for when commissioning an oven. Get it up to temperature and then turn down control knob, flam should sit down but not extinguish, if it extinguishes it's failed is category ID.

This is why you can't do landlord checks economically, to test properly takes time.

I turn on oven before I finish servicing/inspecting the boiler. This does save hanging around waiting for mit to get to temp.

to check flame failure device you turn off oven until flame extinguished, and then keep trying it to see if full gas flow gets through, within the time given in corgi manual gas must stop coming through. Listening for the click after you have turned off isn't really correct, you should actually prove the gas doesn't come through fully after the click..

Agree Paul, I always time how long it takes before flame increases, leave it on for a couple of minutes, turn it off and again time it for 50 secs then relight to check it has returned to low rate.

I don't see the problem giving the guy the answer.

Neither do I, but it always helps to make someone think about it first.

Most gas leaks are around ovens and hobs.

Couldn't agree more

Doen't the fact that it's a ccn1 question mean it is general? Detailed aspects for cookers and hobs will be dealt with in Ckr1.

It does on some commercial ranges, thinking of the Falcon Dominator as one

Which part of CCN1 would that be under? :rolleyes: !

Paul Barker said:

yes you can, just test the cooker 1st except that part and leave it on, by the time you've checked the fire or boiler the cooker is ready to finish the tests required.

Ollski wrote:
Not trying to pick but how would a failed ffd let the burner light for 15 mins before extinguishing?.

The assumption was that the FFD failed 15 minutes after the oven was lit ... They can fail at any time?

MW

ChrisR said:

It does I think on that model which has burners under a bottom plate which you light with a match through a hole towards the front.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back