One into Two cable splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does such a thing exist.

My gran has decided to replace some bedside table lamps in two bedrooms, one room has two lamp cables into one plug, the other has the second lamp cables twisted together and wrapped in tape.

She asked me to replicate this for the new lights (as she only has one single socket) obviously I would want to do it in a slightly safer way.

So basically I am looking for a 'Y' shaped splitter for what must be <0.5mm flat flex.

I had a look on TLC, but nothing obvious jumped out.

Sponsored Links
Not how I would have done it, but thats how she has had them wired for at least 15-20 years, you know what the elderly are like when it comes to change.

Sponsored Links
Double check the fuse rating in the plug, i know somebody who put two lamps into one plug then went out and and sought and bought a 10A fuse. The reasoning was that the plugs came with a 5A fuse, he now had two lamps so that means 10A.

He even went and ordered 10A fuses from a local supplier!

Hopefully no need to point out the error!

I think your best with two plugs and an adapter, best and safest approach. You can get little inline junctions but do things the proper way.

If they are old, check the lampholders for heat damage. Some old brass holders have no earth, check for this. Check the cable too. The cable could be rubber or an early PVC. The cable may also not be mains rated. ive seen multicore phone cable and bell/speaker wire used!

Ive recovered some of my grans 60-70 year old "standard" lamps she thought were unfixable with a new brass holder, 3 core brass/goldish colour cable with a decent few M of length. New plug with easy grip handle can be usefull too - even if not infirm etc. it does make things easier for people.

That looks horrid :eek:

I never knew such a beast existed, but it looks ideal for what the OP is after

Argos used to sell them. Back in t'day.

Like those mini multi sockets for your hifi equipment, which had 6 little plugs you had to wire your stuff into, plugged into a strip. No fusing :eek:

Looks ****, but will do what she wants me to do, just need to fuse it down apropriately. Thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back