One Light Rose and Two Cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to replace a damaged rose.
It has two cables.
There are three lights and one switch.
I connected the two reds to the LOOP and the two blacks to the N.
It didn't work.
I switched one of the reds to LINE and it worked though one of the other lights didn't come on.
Help please!

Sponsored Links
The ceiling rose is both a connection to suspend the lamp and a junction box and most will have three cables.

Feed in
Feed to next lamp
Switch

Since you say only two I would expect the rose is wired different to normal. I will guess that both reds need to go to LINE. but this is a guess from what you have said.

My guess is then lamp with the switch wire is not the one changed and the lamp is just supplied direct from master rose in that room. In which case the diagrams in Wiki will not help.

But it's only a guess and it would need some testing to be sure.

I am guessing that the light is the middle one of a set of three - one switch turns all on - or used to!

I am guessing that the light is the middle one of a set of three
Agreed that is the most likely explanation based on what you have said. If that is the case then you need to put both reds in line and both blacks in neutral leaving "loop" empty.

To confirm please tell us what the wiring is like in the other lights and at the switch.

P.S. in future check the wiring BEFORE you remove stuff.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back