One of my many, many pet hates.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I try not to let it irk me too much, but I am the same with "plug top".
I don't get it, there's no logic to the term. Had many arguments over it.

Surely, this is a plug "top"? And it sure as hell wouldn't be much use without the rest of the plug...
IMG_2023-10-26-11-13-50-007.jpg

I try not to let it irk me too much, but I am the same with "plug top".
I don't get it, there's no logic to the term. Had many arguments over it.

Surely, this is a plug "top"? And it sure as hell wouldn't be much use without the rest of the plug...
View attachment 318497
Agree. That’s the top of the plug (but I would call it a cover).

Surely, this is a plug "top"? And it sure as hell wouldn't be much use without the rest of the plug.
This is like having Winny back! ;)

I did some research into the original patents for the safety plug.

Post in thread 'Where's he gone?' https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/wheres-he-gone.603956/post-5419609

Back in the day, there weren't such things as sockets, there were plug bases and plug tops/caps; these two items together, would collectively be known as a 'plug' - the flex of which, would probably connect to a light fitting.

The use of the term 'plugtop' has been around since the invent of the safety plug!
So, no wonder it sticks around in some places - South Africa and Australia in particular, who share our plugs origins :)

Whether its a term that should still be used, is a different matter! ;)

You seem to have missed the point of the thread.
I don't think I've missed the point of the thread at all. I have read what you have written and responded to it.

As I see it you criticise the use of a term that's in common everyday use, despite the fact the term is factually incorrect (and is even used by at least one manufacturer to describe their products) everybody knows what is intended. As has been mooted a number of times within this hallowed forum language progresses through time and the use of terms changes whether we like it or not. I assume you also hate the use of the word 'bodge' and it's derivatives.

However after your gripe you then claim to not even know what an unfused spur is and from that I can only assume you don't know what a spur is.

If you are going to continue criticising, as you seem to be doing lots of, then can I suggest you find out what it is you are writing about and get things right.

I don't think I've missed the point of the thread at all. I have read what you have written and responded to it.
You have not answered my question - see post #1

As I see it you criticise the use of a term that's in common everyday use, despite the fact the term is factually incorrect (and is even used by at least one manufacturer to describe their products) everybody knows what is intended.
But it is WRONG.

As has been mooted a number of times within this hallowed forum language progresses through time and the use of terms changes whether we like it or not. I assume you also hate the use of the word 'bodge' and it's derivatives.
Whataboutery.

However after your gripe you then claim to not even know what an unfused spur is and from that I can only assume you don't know what a spur is.
I have not claimed any such thing.

I shall remind you.
My quest is to determine what people who wrongly claim the accessory is a "fused spur" therefore think in their world is an "unfused spur".

If you are going to continue criticising, as you seem to be doing lots of, then can I suggest you find out what it is you are writing about and get things right.
You could answer the question.

My quest is to determine what people who wrongly claim the accessory is a "fused spur" therefore think in their world is an "unfused spur".

Just to put my tuppenceworth in again:

I’m guessing people who describe this wall accessory as a fused spur would consider an unfused spur to be something like a socket at the end of a cable taken from another socket on a ring. It’s a spur but it has no fuse so it is therefore unfused. That’s my thinking anyway.

You have not answered my question - see post #1
to someone with 40000 posts... Really?
But it is WRONG.
Indeed that is what
factually incorrect
means.

Whataboutery.
Possibly, however it's you complaining about the incorrect use of words, all I'm trying to do is work out how far your hate of the misuse of words goes?
I have not claimed any such thing.
I shall remind you, you wrote
So - what is an unfused spur, then?
And that is in its own paragraph so hopefully not misquoted.
I shall remind you.

You could answer the question.
I would happily describe an unfused spur to someone coming on here asking for advice but to someone with 40000 posts... Really?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back