One of my many, many pet hates.

Sponsored Links
I don't have a bluff.

I want to know what people who think the accessory is a "fused spur" consider to be an "unfused spur".

I cannot answer that; I do not understand why they think what they do.

A logical deduction but no one has ever called that an "unfused spur", have they?

Sponsored Links
I’m guessing people who describe this wall accessory as a fused spur would consider an unfused spur to be something like a socket at the end of a cable taken from another socket on a ring. It’s a spur but it has no fuse so it is therefore unfused. That’s my thinking anyway.
Well, yes that is what an unfused spur actually is.

Whether the
people who describe this wall accessory as a fused spur
will realise their foolishness, I don't know.

Gentlemen - your starter for 10 tonight is the term "Low Voltage" (Tin Hat on and runs under the parapet !) :giggle:.

Anyway a switched or unswitched connection unit is a FCU or SFCU not a Spur! A Spur is something else

Gentlemen - your starter for 10 tonight is the term "Low Voltage" (Tin Hat on and runs under the parapet !) :giggle:.
Screenshot_20231026-203618_Chrome.jpg

I don't get the point of this post.

A fused connection unit IS a fused spur. The load side of the unit is the spur, and it is fused at 13 amp or less.

I think it was the op who said he hadn't heard of an unfused spur.

I've not heard of an unfused connection unit for that matter.

But I suppose if such things WERE called unfused spurs or unfused connection units, I suppose you would end up with a junction box or a cable outlet, or a blank plate and three connectors.

I don't get the point of this post.
Ok. You're not the only one but I cannot see the difficulty.

A fused connection unit IS a fused spur.
No, it isn't. It is a Fused Connector Unit.
The cable is the spur
The load side of the unit is the spur, and it is fused at 13 amp or less.
Yes, exactly - the cable - as per definitions:
"Spur. A branch from a ring or radial final circuit."

I think it was the op who said he hadn't heard of an unfused spur.
I am the OP and I didn't say that.

I asked what people who call an FCU a "fused spur" thought was an "unfused spur".

I've not heard of an unfused connection unit for that matter.
Ok - I think.

But I suppose if such things WERE called unfused spurs
They are not. That was my point. Nobody calls them that. That is because an FCU is not a fused spur.

or unfused connection units, I suppose you would end up with a junction box or a cable outlet, or a blank plate and three connectors.
Yes, actually you would - BUT nobody calls such things an "unfused spur"

So stop calling an FCU a "fused spur"

a FCU switched or unswitched is not a spur.
The FCU might or might not be used on a spur.

Think of a railway line. Might be a ring but might not.
A spur off the main line is the spur just like a spur off the main line of a circuit is a spur. It might start at a socket or a junction box or an FCU . An FCU is not a spur but it is often(wrongly) referred to as a spur but that is not its name

Next time somebody asks "Please pass me that spur" throw a roll of cable to them and they might see the difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back