One of my many, many pet hates.

PS - we had the same controversy with a "17th Edition Consumer Unit" . No such animal exists.
Any consumer unit can be wired to conform or to not conform to the 17th Edition.

Sponsored Links
I've been reminded tonight of another pet hate; when people call drill bits "drills". God that really p***es me off.
I’ve been calling them drill bits since I was 5 years old and my dad got me interested in DIY. I can honestly say I’ve never heard anyone calling them drills, but I could see it happening, and it would be annoying.

I’ve been calling them drill bits since I was 5 years old and my dad got me interested in DIY. I can honestly say I’ve never heard anyone calling them drills, but I could see it happening, and it would be annoying.
I'd make a gues that drill or drill bit gets used 50:50 and a good bit of that 50% have never heard the term drill bit. This seems particularly prevalent with foreigners where the term drill bit may have no translation

Sponsored Links
Must admit I call them drill bits or drill for short.
Must admit I call the drilling portable machine an electric drill.
A bench drill I call a bench drill.
We do all have our common names for things and they are not always strictly correct )not just in electrics etc but in all kinds of everyday things).
PS - I calls a billion a good old British Million Million not a USA cheapskate Thousand Million, I do not like their short measure gallons either. LOL.

I don't think I knew they were drill bits until I started senior school

Last edited:
Floor sweepings, made into biscuits and given to dogs. :)

Can I add the American prnunciation of "solder" and them calling plaster "mud". too.

Can I add the American prnunciation of "solder" and them calling plaster "mud". too.
American pronunciation of most things, to be honest.

It’s especially annoying when arrogant Americans claim to be “unable to understand” anything we say, despite the fact that we’re obviously speaking English.

To be fair, a lot of the differences are down to the fact that in the time around the sailings, spellings were different to those we use today. So, we have subsequently changed our spellings. They kept the spellings they left the country with.

To be fair, a lot of the differences are down to the fact that in the time around the sailings, spellings were different to those we use today. So, we have subsequently changed our spellings. They kept the spellings they left the country with.
I understand that - but I just find it annoying that people would arrogantly pretend not to understand other people just because they don’t speak “American English” (or British English for that matter).

English is my father in law’s second language but even he can understand the vast majority of what I say when I speak to him in English. But then he’s not an arrogant pr@t.

Maybe, but just as likely they have changed them and the words and the use of the words too to make them even further apart.

However one only has to look at different dialects in any country to find what sounds like a foreign language.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back